Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions. The usual rules of courtesy apply: 1. Be nice. 2. If you can't be nice, be polite. 3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief. To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled "More explanation," look for the words "File attachments." Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo. Thanks for joining the conversation!

This is something that as passed a few times in my background brain processes,

How does SHG on exterior cladding/glass influence heatloss ??

If glazings specs 50%VT , a part of the remaining 50% must be converted to heat?

If exterior cladding on a building is black, and sun is shinning on the south face,
it must affect the heatloss greatly for the shined on walls ??

As an example, let's assume a building up here cold north.
20c inside 0c outside.
Sun shines on a large flat south wall that was cladded with a black painted steel sheets finish.

Asked By Jin Kazama | Aug 28 14
Answers

Hi folks, great site.

I have a crawlspace in a new house that smells of chemicals. The dirt floor is sealed with a vapor barrier and the walls have Spray Foam Insulation. The space is pretty airtight.

My ERV was installed incorrectly (another story) and sometimes the smell from the crawlspace comes up into the house. Makes my eyes burn, and it gives me a headache. Hopefully that will be fixed this week!

Should I be able to smell the foam 2 months after it has been installed?

Asked By Brett Michaels | Sep 1 14
Answers

So I read the innie vs. outie window article on GBA and decided to go with the innie route as I had already made my R/O to size and didn't have time to fir out the windows before my window installer (friend) showed up. So I have my windows in with flanges against sheathing and they stick out just over 2" from the sheathing. I am putting 2' rigid polyiso on the exterior and butting it into the windows. This means there is no foam showing. Do I need to put peel and stick flashing on the exposed foam before installing it? should I leave it away from the window slightly and spray foam that gap?

Asked By jordan Saunders | Sep 1 14
Answers

Most of the blower door tests that are mentioned on GBA give numbers under 3 or 2 or 1 ACH50. I'm guessing that none of these homes have a traditional fireplace. How much does a traditional fireplace with standard chimney damper contribute to air exchange numbers? What are some recommendations for improving a house with fireplace and chimney?

Asked By Derek Roff | Sep 1 14

I had R60 blown into my 1000sqft attic where there was previously only about R11. Baffles were installed in almost every roof rafter. Air sealing of attic floor was performed. This is a low pitch asphalt shingled hip roof over the whole house.

Asked By Jeff Watson | Jul 12 14
Answers

Wondering if the arctic wall design would be appropriate to use as a roof/cathedral ceiling here in CZ6 upstate NY. There is a comment about it on Martin's blog, but I didn't see any discussion : http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/how-build-insulat...

from inside out it would be:
GWB,
2x4 service cavity,
1/2" CDX taped and sealed,
parallel chord trusses 12-12 pitch dense packed with cellulose,
vapor open WRB (suggestions for best product welcome),
2x4 furring,
5/8 sheathing,
felt,
asphalt shingles.

Asked By Trevor Chadwick | Sep 1 14

I would like to decide on putting in solar panels to reduce energy costs.

I have read about the next generation solar panels not being to far off.

Question: Would it be better to install current solar panels or wait for the new type that will be coming shortly?

Asked By John Alberti | Aug 26 14
Answers

I live in the pacific north west, and will be building a home off the cost of Vancouver island this fall. The house is small, 700 square feet, with a 1 n 12 pitched roof as the design. We have not started construction on the house as yet and we want to deal with the roof in a way that will, of course, provide the best of all worlds.

Asked By Jeannette Sirois | Sep 1 14

I have a question about an effective way to solve an issue in a house with a large family room that has a painted T&G wood planked vaulted ceiling that leaks air and makes the house very cold in the winter.

Asked By Bruce Howe | Sep 1 14

Hi,
I am currently redoing the exterior of my house with a new vinyl siding and changing all windows. My house was built in the mid 80's and have 2x6 studs with Batt Insulation and mostly without a vapor barrier... but the insulation is not great, especially the air goes through the house.
My question is what is the best insulation for me to put outside the house underneath the vinyl siding. My windows will allow me to go up to 1 inches of exterior insulation.
So XPS with Typar? Polyisocyanurate (IKO Ener Air )? Others?

Asked By Jason Haché | Aug 29 14