Seal (without insulating) rim joist?

I've got a crawlspace in a 1940 home that is reasonably warm and dry, but I want to seal against airflow and spiders. Is it crazy not to insulate as well?

I feel like I can get the sealing done now, and might insulate at a later date.

If I go this route, what is best for sealing the sill plate and rim joist (not sure if I'm using those words right...)? Caulk only, or Great Stuff? If I use Great Stuff I imagine the process being easier -- it's a tight crawlspace -- but I'm not sure if that works as well.

Asked By Firsty Lasty | Apr 25 15

Passive Solar: is a tweak to increase orientation towards the south worth it?

Friends,

Bald eagles and osprey are busy snatching fish from the lake. Migrating pelicans and loons are stopping by to feed. And we our readying for our May 15 passive solar cabin groundbreaking at 46 degrees N in Minnesota.

We are razing an old 500 sq ft cabin to make way for our 1,100 sq ft cabin that folks on this forum vetted previously regarding heat pump sizing. http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/qa-spotlight/designing-hv...

Asked By Randy Bunney | Apr 24 15

Suggestion for making a 30 year old home more efficient while roof and siding are off

We live in Columbus, Ohio and have a home built in 1986 with the following floors. Floorplans and photo are attached as an FYI.
- Basement: 740sf finished, 250sf crawl space
- 1st floor: 1000sf
- 2nd floor: 800sf

Asked By Chad B | Apr 25 15

Deep energy retrofit — Envelope upgrade questions

We are well into the process of a deep energy retrofit for our 2,700 sq. ft. house in NYC suburbs, zone 4/5A. The house is a typical 1988 contemporary with 2x6" wood frame construction, builder grade, sloppy subs, code minimum and 25 years of neglect. Long story short, we are currently replacing the roof, windows, doors, siding and HVAC. Before we started renovations, the blower door test result of just under 11 ACH50, proved that the envelope could be improved, so that is now our focus.

Asked By Andrew Wuench | Mar 31 15

Building a home - to code?

Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I am in the process of designing a small (~ 700 sq. ft.), off-grid house. My intention is to do as much of the design and construction as possible with my own head and hands.

I've been a car mechanic for 10 years, and so have a good understanding of the basic principles of electricity (the house will use 12V wherever possible), HVAC, plumbing, etc. However, I don't have much in the way of hands-on experience with construction.

Two questions (among many) occur:

Asked By Tomas Gray | Apr 23 15

Sheathing moisture in a temperate climate

I don't want to sidetrack the discussion in the Blog on sheathing moisture, so I'll ask a related question here:
In a temperate but wet climate like the PNW, are seasonal elevated moisture levels more serious as the outside temperatures never get cold enough to inhibit rot or mold?

Asked By Malcolm Taylor | Apr 24 15

Roof SIPs and 2012 IRC R806

WIth an 8" polyurethane SIP (OSB skins), would the 2012 IRC R806 code apply for roof venting or is that only applicable for ceiling with roof rafters?

Asked By Peter L | Apr 23 15

Rim joist at ceiling rafters

Here is a wall section image from several houses I built 10 years ago.
2X6 studson 2' centers. The rafter sits on the joist and rim with 2X6 headers in the wall below.
Considering doubling rim joist over 3' openings instead.
Looking for input.

Asked By Donald Ross | Apr 22 15

Perforated metal used in Roxul rock board install?

I've read through this article and tried to contact /find contacts for the owners, but was unlucky. The link to their blog http://agreenhearth.com/ no longer works..

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/installing-ro...

Asked By Lucyna de Barbaro | Apr 24 15

Water heater standby losses

Does anyone have a reference for the standby losses (in BTU/hr) for a "typical" gas-fired 40 gallon water heater?

Thanks.

Asked By Pete Engle | Apr 28 10