Meanwhile at BSC ... PHIUS draft standard

Not sure it was linked here .....
But it might interest some of us that missed the hint from PHIUS or PHAUS

http://www.buildingscience.com/documents/bareports/ba-1405-draft-climate...

BA-1405: Climate-Specific Passive Building Standards

Draft paper from PHIUS and BSC .

Still reading and learning, interesting stuff.

Might we discuss the proposed standard now ? :)

Asked By Jin Kazama | Dec 12 14

Wet OSB - how much water can it take?

We are two weeks from having trusses and roof on our new house. The rains are killing us. We painted the subfloors before the rains and have been sucking water after each storm. We are dreading putting the hardwood floors down (someday). How much damage can happen due to this rain, glad it's helping the drought, but it's definitely stressing us out!

Asked By colleen1 runyen | Dec 17 14

Quarter Round on Rammed Earth

I'm trying to attach 3/4 x 3/4 to rammed earth pony walls I put in this rehab I am doing but the 3" finish nails are not holding. Any ideas?

I could try dipping in contact cement but I want to keep it all natural. What would they use for concrete?

Reason is although I used a surface sealer I found out the vacuum will tear the wall up.

PIC below is before, I'm pretty happy with it for my first project indoors. Realtor is going to give me feed back before I build homes.

Asked By Terry Lee | Dec 18 14

Is this furnace venting/leaking problem as bad as it looks?

I'm visiting my parents' place for the holidays and using my newfound amateur knowledge of building science to find everything wrong with their old house. :) I'd like to get some confirmation on the most worrying thing I've found: a leaking furnace flue.

The furnace is a 30 year old 80% efficient model in the basement with a round metal flue that goes into a masonry chimney and exits about 40 feet higher at the top of the chimney. The connection to the furnace in the basement curves down at one point:

https://i.imgur.com/xBMUIUo.jpg

Asked By Nathaniel G | Dec 20 14

Polyiso for basement

Morning all

I am about to embark on the basement insulation. I have a question about polyiso. After much reading I was so sure about putting xps 2" rigid foam against walls and rim joist.

I read the gba, several other forums and as I understand, the steps are - clean the basement walls, clean rim joist, place rigid foam, seal with great stuff, place xps with foam glue on walls, tape the seams, seal the edges with great stuff, leave a inch gap and frame with stud walls.

Asked By sr kod | Dec 20 14

Solar thermal systems for heating water

Jin this is for you and Richard

Let's run the costs and the systems through the paces

so far I hear $16,000 for a Caleffi system and maybe that for labor? $32,000
saves $500 a year

CO2 production unknown to manufacture
Very little CO2 to run the ECM circulators

There are much less costly systems

NYSERDA here in NY is unveiling a new program this January
Will post more about it when they tell us more

Jin, Richard, others... what say you all

Asked By aj builder, Upstate NY Zone 6a | Dec 15 14

Closed-cell spray foam on roof deck... shingle underlayment choice?

Good day,

I'm planning on doing spray foam insulation on the underside of my roof deck.

I'm about to start shingling next week, and was planning on using synthetic roof paper instead of tar paper.

Then I read an article saying that on unvented roof assemblies (what this will be), most synthetic roof underlayments should NOT be used.

I did some digging, and the product I had planned to use called "Rhinoroof" has a perm rating of 0.5, aka it would create a vapor sandwich between my shingles and under deck roof insulation.

http://www.interwrap.com/RhinoRoof/RhinoRoof-U15.html

Asked By Mark Helmrich | Dec 19 14

What should I use to create a smooth base under a soft floating flooring?

I am thinking about using a soft flooring like a linoleum or fiberglass flooring. I need to use something under it that is smooth but I am concerned about the VOCs from particle board type products.

Asked By Jacque Hyler | Dec 19 14

Unfinished basement, Cgi 5 gas boiler, Z vent. The outside air is making the basement cold. Can it be louvered?

Hi all,

So Ive just finished sealing the rim joist with 2" XPS (Dow Blue board) and spray foam, sealed the perimeter between the walls and floor with silicone, installed a air tight sump lid but was still getting drafts.

So Ive tracked it back to the Z vent for our CGi5 boiler, it seems the air is coming in through the z vent and back that way. It has the Z Vent termination cap on outside but was wondering if it could use a metal louver on the outside so when the boiler isnt firing it the drafts stay outside?

Asked By Darren Finch | Dec 16 14

Woodstoves: does efficient burning depend on size?

We are in the market for a new, non-catalytic woodstove. We understand that a non-cat stove needs a minimum temperature of around 500° for an efficient secondary burn. Question: Does attaining that 500° depend on the size of the stove at all? Or will the same quantity of wood produce the same burn temperature regardless of firebox size? (I know, dry, seasoned hardwood, etc.)

Asked By Patricia Appelbaum | Dec 17 14