window SHGC

Hi guys, house will be 160 deg. south with 328 sqft of glass south 3' over hangs on south side.
(3400sqft two story with daylight basement)
total glass 462
pvc triple avg. u value 1.0 shgc .20-.24 , should i go for the higher heat gain? .46? on south windows

thanks kris

Asked By Kris Currie | Aug 31 16

What tools to order for a tool grant?

Our Habitat affiliate (Greenville, SC) just received a $12,000 tool grant, and we are trying to figure out how to best utilize these funds. Obviously, only we know what we already have and therefore what we need. But we really don't need that much right now, and I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions...maybe a tool that most people may not know about, tools that you have found to be critical to have on the jobsite.

In addition to new construction, we also do weatherizations and repairs, so we have already put in for an infrared camera. Do you all have anything in mind?

Asked By Dylan Hillman | Aug 31 16

Can bees damage a structure if they get behind the siding?

If bees/wasps/ect get behind the siding of the house such as in a rain screen detail, can they cause structural damage?
If just a straight fiberglass insect screen is installed against the wall sheathing and folded up over the furing strips, is this sufficient or should it be wrapped over something solid like the cor a vent product? I know it used to be detailed this way before products like cor a vent, but were there legitimate issues with bees/wasps?

Asked By eric Mikkelsen | Aug 31 16

What would you do?

Forgive me for the vague title and the long post but I am lost in possibilities... all expensive!

Oh and its complicated because I am forced into a decision NOW that will heat my 850 sq ft house AND be adequate to heat in a year (or two) when I add 1000 sq ft. The math gets fuzzier when I tell you the plan is to add 4 inches of EPS to ALL the exterior walls (including existing) and 6 inches under the NEW basement concrete).

No one here (Canukistan) is able or willing to do a manual J to size a unit for a two fold job...

I live in Kenora Ontario Canada (zone 7);

Asked By tim brown | Aug 17 16

How many minisplits for an old house?

I have a three story brick duplex built in 1925. There is currently no ductwork (steam heat) and I doubt that it's feasible to install. Windows are wooden double hung with storm glass, they are in fantastic shape and I'm not particularly interested in replacing them.

Unfinished basement, 1st and 2nd floors are all 1380 sq ft, but I'm not concerned about conditioning the basement. 1st and 2nd floors have 3 bedrooms, living room open to dining room standard doorway to kitchen. 3rd floor is 690 sq ft split into 2 rooms.

Asked By Aaron McMillin | Aug 31 16

Log wall spray foam insulation: closed or open cell?

Hi - Man, I'm glad I found your site because I'm torn and need advice for this unusual situation.

Asked By Dave Beller | Aug 30 16

Through-fastened metal roof issue / Standing seam option

In this post:

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/martin-s-ten-rule...

and in this:

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2015/01/07/is-through-fastened-metal-roo...

you talk about the merits of through-fastened metal roofing. I agree on most aspects.

Asked By Pat Kiernan | Aug 31 16

Water between the bottom of the window and rough opening?

Building a home in zone 4A and we done with framing and setting the windows and house wrap. The windows have been flashed and the house wrap is taped to the window on all 4 sides.

This morning, the builder needed to take a window out, and when he did he noticed a lot of water under the window between the window and the rough opening. He said it was a lot of water.

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Aug 25 16

Mitsubishi minisplits — horizontally ducted

Sorry - I blv I posted the same in another section. Please ignore this question if it's a duplicate.

We are not fans of ductless units. Therefore, we opted for the hidden horizontally ducted units that Mitsubishi provides. Unfortunately, all the Mitsubishi contractors we talked to have never designed a home with these type of units. Plenty of ductless experience.

Asked By Ismail Mohammed | May 21 16

Is there a way to seal VOCs?

We had our front stained. The company used DuraSeal stain. I know it isn't the most ecofriendly, but since it was exterior door we agreed because they said it was very durable. Well, they spilled the stain all over the subfloor and brand new drywall on the interior of the house. I am freaking out a little bit since we have a chemically sensitive child. We are installing hardwood floors (which will not create an air seal). I plan to have them pay to replace the drywall that is soiled. However, I don't know what to do about the subfloor. Is there a way to seal in the chemicals and VOCs?

Asked By Carolyn Farrow | Aug 25 16