Any vented attic air sealing tricks? And recommended R-values? Blown fiberglass?

I am building a home in climate zone C4 and am getting ready for insulation at last. I have wrapped the house with a layer of 1" xps already, but am getting ready for the rest. The local insulation contractor is pushing blown fiberglass over blown cellulose, what do you guys think about this, I have heard it settles less. Most of the house has cantilevered scissor trusses. Do you guys have any good practices for air sealing around all of the electrical lighting boxes (not cans) that I have installed in the ceiling?

Asked By Kail Zuschlag | Apr 28 16

Roof structure, insulation and lighting

I am planning a new home in northern Idaho climate zone 6 and have some questions regarding the roofing structure/insulation and lighting within this system. this will be a mostly cathedral ceiling with a flat part across the middle in which I intend to put the lighting and ceiling fans. The thought is to keep these items out of the insulated roof. It will be a non vented roof. I have attached two drawings to help illustrate my thoughts. I would like to build the roof as follows from top to bottom:
1. Dutch Seam metal roofing
2. 2x4 furring strips

Asked By Kyle Rice | Apr 28 16

What is the safest (healthwise) roller blind I can buy?

What materials would it be made of. I can find one made of linen but with an acrylic foam backing.

Asked By Angela Weber | Apr 29 16

Ducted or ductless?

Hey guys,

Still working on my house specs for my 2800 sqft house just outside of DFW. I really want to have my ducts inside the conditioned space but this seems really difficult unless you foam the underside of the roof. So, I've seen these ductless units and wondering if it's practical and maybe less costly. The big challenge, I think, would be the house is single story, spread-out and lots of rooms. Thoughts? I tried to attach the pdf floor plan but it failed. If you want to see the plan I can email, etc.

Shawn

Asked By Shawn Tucker | Apr 28 16

Why are my windows wet?

4 year-old 2800 SF home in Duluth (zone 7A). Very tight construction, Well insulated etc. Using a Venmar HE1.8 HRV running full blast. We still have 1-2 inches of condensation and some ice along the bottom of our windows when the temp is <0F at night. (low-E H-windows).

Is our HRV sized too small, or am I doing something wrong?

Asked By Jeffrey Lyon | Dec 11 13

In process of utilizing 5/8" fiberglass shell for a small building

Is wrapping in EPS or XPS advisable; should foil surface (vapor barrier) face inward to building or outward to ambient? Is Ceramic Paint a viable alternative since Fiberglass Shell is a homogeneous structure. Electrical and plumbing to be installed on interior side of shell. if so referral to independent (i.e ASTM) applicable studies is appreciated...Thank you, Tim

Asked By Tim Boyle | Apr 27 16

Insulating exterior wall where it meets partition wall

NH here.

I was planning on using rigid foam insulation in a stud bay where a partition wall for a shower begins.

The rest of the bays use un-faced fiberglass batts and a plastic sheeting as a vapor barrier.

The exterior wall is OSB.

I want to go with the rigid foam because I feel it will be easier to piece around the framing I am adding in the bay to support the partition wall - going above and beyond to make sure there is no movement (in aspects I can control) given that the wall will be tiled.

Asked By Sam Smith | Apr 9 16

Transoms and Ductless Minisplits

I am trying to heat and cool my second floor with one 12,000 btu ductless minisplit. I have heard that this is possible if I keep the bedroom doors open during the day to facilitate circulation of the hot or cool air.

However, does it get uncomfortable quickly in the night when the doors are closed. If so, I was thinking of putting in operable transoms over the doors. The only problem is they are kind of expensive (~$275 from transomsdirect.com). Attached is my floor plan. I will be putting ceiling fans in each bedroom so maybe the transoms would be overkill?

Asked By Jimmy Nguyen | Mar 10 16

Does PVC really offgas sufficiently to be a concern for ventilation returns?

Just wondering...does PVC pipe really off gas sufficiently to be a concern in the supply air returns of HRV/ERVs?

Asked By Eric Mikkelsen | Apr 28 16

Best adhesive for Visqueen lapped to concrete block?

Looking for an adhesive to stick my 6 mil visqueen vapor barrier to the concrete block stem wall. I want to lap the visqueen up about 6 inches. I have tried duct mastic which sticks well to the block but readily peels from the visqueen. Something other than Tremco?

Asked By Robert Holland | Apr 28 16