Alpen vs Inline

I am comparing Alpen and Inline products. I have recieved quotations from both companies and I would like to pose a few questions to those that have a little more experience in this relam.

Both companies use fiberglass frames and Cardinal Low E Glass. Inline makes their frame and Alpen purchases the frame material through Inline.

Alpen makes a double pane window, their 525-s Series, that have a whole window U-factor of .19 for casements and .15 for pictures. Inline offers a triple pane window with a whole window u-factor of .17 for a casement and .14 for a picture.

Asked By David Mosijchuk | Mar 25 15

Spray foaming Around Windows

When you spray foam (interior) around a window, is it best to try and not fill the area were the nailing flange hits the WRB? Wouldn't this be true because if the window ever did leak the water would have some place to go?

Asked By Randy Mason | Sep 1 15

Comments on Wall Design, Please

Attached is an image of a wall system I've conceptualized. It combines ease of interior electrical, plumbing, and wall finishing work with the structural benefits of CMU construction, the air tightness and performance benefits of a REMOTE wall, and the maintenance benefits of EIFS.

Looking for feedback. Any pitfalls with this approach? Overkill?

Thanks.

Asked By Matt Culik | Aug 31 15

REMOTE walls using Roxul products

I've been on here previously to gauge everyone's thoughts on the building plan for our new house, and I was curious about the opinions out there on what we are currently thinking. We're building in northern Oakland county Michigan climate zone 5. The house is a 2357 sq ft ranch with a walkout basement. We've considered just about everything, but here's where our heads are at the moment:

1) I think we like the idea of doing superior walls for the backfilled foundation walls, with the exposed walls being wood framed (for ease of attaching cladding and framing windows and doors).

Asked By Brian W | Aug 30 15

Attic Ductwork

I live in Nashville, TN climate area 4A

My issue is my attic gets so hot in the summer months and my heat pump runs a lot but does not cool very well. This is a duplex home with each side having around 980 sq foot living space.

Asked By Janice West | Jul 11 15

I am considering getting solar panels on my roof and have quotes from 2 different companies. Is there anywhere I can go to get help on determining which are the better panels?

I have al the information readily available. I also know that over time they get cheaper and better but with the state and federal tax credits ending in 2016 I want to take advantage of that. Also, Duke Power is offering $1 for every watt you have installed; so a 13kw (proposed) system would be rebated at $13,000. Both companies have stated that over time Duke will consistently lower the rebate amount so I want to take advantage of that, too.

Asked By Dave Sanda | Aug 31 15

Insulating basement walls of old home in a cold climate

I live in a 1911 home in Duluth, Minnesota (Climate Zone 7A). I have started to insulate my basement walls to R-15 using 3 inches of XPS foam board. Because of the age of the home, our cold climate, and the presence of clay soils, the building inspector recommend that I remove the bottom two feet of insulation in the basement so that the walls are exposed near the basement floor to keep the concrete warm during the winter.

Asked By Brad Leick | Aug 31 15

Methods for air sealing the ceiling

We are building in a cold climate, zone 7, using ICF walls. Because the walls are ICF, they act as an air barrier, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to air seal the ceiling. Based on what I've read on this site, I'm following a few guidelines:

• Ceiling will be flat, using energy heel trusses
  • Using blown in cellulose, thinking around R-60
  • No recessed lighting (thanks Martin)
Asked By Nick Hall | Aug 28 15

XPS or PVC under base plate

I'm looking to start framing in our basement. The house is 15 years old, and did have some water leakage (some small puddles could form during big rains... We had crack injections done this fall to alleviate the issue), but no flooding yet (knock on wood).

I thought I read somewhere that you could use XPS insulation to put under the base plate of the wall. It seems like a good idea (a 1" insurance policy should the basement begin to flood).

Asked By Andrew Wayland | Feb 22 15

Is there a way to move forward without removing the exterior 1" XPS rigid foam, Tyvek, and windows?

Last February I started the project of adding an entire second story to our 1946 1,550 sq. ft. ranch home in Southern Wisconsin. It is on the border of WI and IL. It could be considered in the northern part of climate zone 5A or southern part of zone 6A.

Asked By Steven Bessel | Aug 30 15