GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

For green building, start with a builder or an architect?

GBA Editor | Posted in Project Management on

I’m considering building a green home, particularly with regards to energy efficiency. I anticipate having a lot of detailed drawings, because unfortunately many “green” techniques for framing, insulation, and moisture management seem to be new to people, and I don’t want to leave things open to interpretation. My basic question is, should I try to find an experienced green builder first, or should I start with an architect? I’ve read that a prerequisite for a good design and well-built structure is a charrette with everyone involved, but who will likely be the leader?

I recognize that there is no answer that fits in every situation, but for those who have successfully managed or reviewed green projects, is there a preferred starting point?

Thanks for your thoughts,

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-755799 | | #1

In an ideal world, either should be fine. An architect/designer who has had sucessful projects will have builders who can carry the design details through. Likewise, knowledgeable builders will know which arch/designers understand the building science and details. My preference is design/build.

The caveat is to find either one with an in depth knowledge of what's important to you. I would suggest not asking for a "green" home, but ask what strategies they use to acheive energy efficiency within a given budget. If they immediately talk about solar and wind without discussing building envelope, be leary. Ask them what their typical HERS score is. Ask them how they manage water, how they flash windows. Ask them if a house can be too "tight:". Ask how they let the house dry and which way is best for your climate. Ask "what does systems approach" mean.

If you've read the Green Basics section of this site, you'll have a pretty good understanding of what those answers should be..

2. Robert Riversong | | #2

Unless you're required to have an architect in order to secure a building permit, or have a hefty project budget, you may be much better off with an experienced and qualified designer/builder - if you can find one in your area who is compatible with your goals.

There will always be some level of conflict and communication challenge with a designer (architect) and a builder charged with implementing some else's plans and details, specifications and expectations. A house building project is challenging enough with the builder and client trying to bridge their different perspectives, goals and expectations. Adding a third ego into the mix, particularly one who is in a project management role, is often a recipe for problems - even if just the myriad minor miscommunications and disagreements that accumulate over time into a grudging accomodation.

If you "don't want to leave things open to interpretation", you can eliminate that problem by having a designer and a builder who are the same person. Then you merely have to collaborate in a careful, step-by-step design process to reduce the likelihood of conflicting interpretations between you and your design/builder.

Finding a design/builder (or two separate persons, if you choose that option) who is personally compatible with you is just as important as their being technically and philosophically sympathetic to your vision of a home.

3. Andrew | | #3

John and Robert - thank you for your suggestions. I will keep them in mind.

I would also like to thank again all of the people who so regularly contribute their expertise and relate their experiences on this site. I have learned a lot from the GBA site, both from the articles and from the Q&A section.

4. gene batema | | #4

Start with the Arch. he will be more inclined to help; courses, classes, seminars in green const. Everything starts with a design; then a peliminary budget. Most contrs. don't like the design stage. After a peliminary design, bring in contrs. for their input along with sub-trades. IF you bring in a builder too early; he will get the impression that he will get the project by giving free advice. Review all drawings from Arch. and get input from other Architects or designers on a per hour fee basis. one hour with fresh eyes provides new insight.

Gene; licensed Michigan GC.

5. Riversong | | #5

Another thread revived from the land of the dead!

Everything starts with a design

Actually, everything starts from the project goals and the design grows from those. Few architects really understand the intricacies of green building (or building in general) and most impose their own aesthetic on the design process and make a project more complex (and more expensive) than is required to meet the essential goals.

It's also true that most residential builders don't give a hoot about green, but those few who've been pioneering efficient and sustainable construction all their careers are often the best "authorities" to go to. Even when an architect is involved, it often takes an experienced builder to walk them through the elements of green design and construction.

With the right team, a collaborative process often has the best outcome.

6. homedesign | | #6

I think the best projects have a Builder and Designer working together from the beginning.
    In some cases the Builder and Designer can be the same person.
    Note that I did not say "Architect"

John Brooks-Architect

7. Lucas Durand | | #7

Another thread revived from the land of the dead!

Undead thread.

8. user-659915 | | #8

JB is nearly right - the best projects are a full collaboration between client, designer and builder. Priorities - mutual respect, no assumptions (up or down), no competitions on who is 'greenest', everyone ready to learn something they didn't know before or relearn something they'd forgotten. Humility, honesty, patience, clarity. Communicate, communicate, communicate.

9. Riversong | | #10

Humility is over-rated.

10. phalkias70 | | #11

The eco-charette is definetly a good idea. This will get every player on the project on the same page. There is a level of transparency between owner, builder, architect, engineer, accountant, basically everybody will know what they are responsible for in the project. If any of these key players can't get through the initial charette process, than they should be replaced. The problem is that most of the tradesmen or sub-contractors in the building industry are not willing to change there ways of doing things, and they are usually not present at an eco-charette.

11. Riversong | | #12

owner, builder, architect, engineer, accountant...

A home is not an industrial creation and should not require an entire corporate team to make it manifest.

A truly green home should be scaled down in every way, including in the complexity of the team that is required for appropriate design and construction.

The ideal "team" is a single designer/builder with knowledge, experience and commitment to authentically green shelter.

12. phalkias70 | | #13

Yes, I agree scale is important, But there is more than one person involved in any scale project. And we don't live in an ideal world. You can design something on paper till you are blue in the face, but then some inexperienced or worse careless subcontractor builds it there way to save money and time. I wrote accountant down on the team list as a way to say, that everyone needs to be on the same page regardless of how they are involved. Robert I can understand your passion for green building but there are real limitations in todays building industries. The more people we can get on board to our way of thinking the better and more ideal the situation will become.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |