GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Looking for integrated design help in RI

tzed | Posted in Project Management on

I am acting as contractor on the renovation of my home in Rhode Island.
Major interior renovation, all new exterior, all new doors and windows, new roof.
I have become dis-satisfied with my architect’s knowledge about such issues as insulation technology, passive cooling, etc.
I am looking for someone to take over the design of exterior wall details, door & window details and roof details as well as a whole-house heating and cooling plan.
Is there a national registry of design professionals in this field?
Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your help.

David

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Natur Haus | | #1

I personally believe you should be able to find a good builder/remodeler in the area that will know what to do and how to do it, I would skip the architect in this situation, IMHO....

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

David,
    National Grid (the electric utility) just extended its deep-energy retrofit pilot program (a program that includes big incentives) to Rhode Island. You may be interested in contacting them. More info:

https://www.powerofaction.com/der/

3. tzed | | #3

@Matthew: I'm doing the bulk of the work myself so I assume a builder/remodeler isn't going to be interested in providing design services unless they're VERY slow on work.
    @Martin: thanks, RISE Engineering is coming over for an evaluation and I've had a blower-door test but they're both retro-fit oriented and I'm planning on opening up walls to the foundation on the ground floor and taking the exterior (including the roof) down to the sheathing so it's almost a new-construction situation.

4. 5C8rvfuWev | | #4

David, if your blower door was done by a RESNET cert. HERS contractor, perhaps you could ask him/her ... they should know. If you want to contact all the RESNET certified folk in your area, you can check their contractor list as the website -- but be aware that the search function doesn't list "associate" members. For those folk, there is a separate, and lengthy, listing elsewhere on the website.

At least locally, these people seem to know everybody!

Good luck.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |