GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Quickly listing neighborhood amenities by LEED category

user-917856 | Posted in Project Management on

I am working on several LEED for Homes Midrise projects which are pursuing points under LL5 Community Resources. LEED outlines several categories of resources, like:

Arts and entertainment center, Bank, Community or civic center, Convenience store, Daycare center, Fire station, etc.

Points are awarded when you can document a project’s proximity to these resources. One way to do this is with walkscore.com or google maps, but it is very slow and cumbersome. I am looking for a website or program which quickly, and in one motion, creates a list of all the services under each of those criteria and the distance from the address. For example, you enter 100 Main Street into some website and it lists all resources eligible under each one of those categories. Surely there must be a website that does this. If not, could you please suggest your technique for making this documentation a quick and easy process? I suspect this is a common hurdle for other folks too.

Thank you!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Kris,
    I'm feeling old. I remember that when I was growing up, when I wanted to research a topic, I would walk to the library and look through the 3x5 cards in the card catalog, and then wander the stacks until I found a few relevant volumes.

How times have changed! Now, we all assume, "There has to be an app."

2. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #2

Perhaps a better approach would be to re-think why you are bothering to do such a useless task to satisfy the demands of the accredit-ors? This perfectly illustrates how these points lists more closely resemble a child's game than any measure of "green-ness' or energy efficiency.

3. user-1119462 | | #3

It would appear that if a person lives out of town, he won't get many or any points. Is that true? Pity the poor deprived countryman or farmer!

Tony.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |