GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Insulating the attic in a brick home

chohm | Posted in Project Management on

I am getting ready to insulate the attic of a brick home that was built in the 1950s. I have all the old insulation removed and plan to blow in either cellulose or fiberglass insulation.

Around the perimeter of the attic there is a 1 inch gap between the brick and sheathing on the exterior walls. These gaps appear to extend to the foundation and were not insulated at all and just vented into the attic. I have a couple of questions.

Should these gaps be insulated (blow insulation into them)? I’m assuming the gap should be left open as I think it is meant to allow moisture that seeps through the brick to evaporate.

Do these gaps need to stay open to the attic or should they be sealed off at the top of the wall plates and insulation installed over them? On one hand leaving them open would allow hot air and evaporated moisture to escape into the attic. On the other hand, it leaves a fairly large opening for air to escape the structure below.

Any advice you can provide would be appreciated.

Tom

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Tom,
    Q. "Should these gaps be insulated (blow insulation into them)?"

A. No.

Q. "Do these gaps need to stay open to the attic?"

A. Yes.

Q. "Should they be sealed off at the top of the wall plates and insulation installed over them?"

A. No. Create an insulation dam that keeps the insulation away from the top of the air space that you are describing.

2. chohm | | #2

Thank you Martin. I have done a lot of internet searches on this topic and could not find answers. I really appreciate the advice.
    Tom

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |