Curbless shower with a PVC liner -- how to terminate the liner at the floor?

I'm installing a curbless shower----Concrete slab-on-grade with a sump for shower.
Using traditional method for shower floor---PVC liner, with pre-slope and top slope mud beds.
2x2 tile on shower floor and 18x18 travertine on bathroom floor.

My question is how to handle the waterproofing interface between my sump and the bathroom floor level (like where the curb would have been).

Asked By john walls | Oct 19 14

Insulation in old home repair

Hello, I own a 1931 home. I had a window leak it damaged the plaster on an interior wall, roughly a 2'x5' section. Behind the plaster and lath was a later of loose insulation and behind that bound newspaper. Much of the newspaper was rotted, as was a section of the wood behind it. The wood backed the exterior stucco. I removed the newspaper and wood. I am unable to replace the wood that backed the stucco.Instead and added 1" rigid foam.

Here's my question: What do I use next to insulate before I put on the sheetrock, faced or unfaced fiberglass...or something else? I live in Minneapolis.

Asked By Tom Ives | Oct 21 14

Thermal energy storage

~3900 square foot house.

I am thinking of building a water based TES tank using ICF in a crawl space.

The plan would be to use RV antifreeze in an active (pump) circulating heat exchanger that sits at the bottom of a tank of water. Domestic water supply would pass through another heat exchanger that sits at the top (for stratified water column effects) inside this tank and preheat water for radiant hydronic boiler and domestic hot water.

I was thinking 12'x12' @ 6' tall for a 864 cubic foot / 6463 gallon tank.

Asked By Jim Pancanke | Oct 21 14

“Air-sealed” can light retrofit vs. Tenmat cover in attic?

I’m planning some air sealing work in my attic. I’ve got a bunch of recessed can lights to deal with, and I had been planning to use Tenmat rock wool light covers on the attic side. This would involve caulking (say, Tremco acoustical sealant) or foaming to seal the Tenmat cover, plus taping up any cuts to allow for electrical wires, etc. After first going into attic, pulling back existing insulation, sweeping the area clean, etc.

Asked By andrew c | Jun 22 14

Window U-value comparison to wall R-value and window replacement

We have an 1870s Victorian farmhouse that doesn't have insulation in the walls, and to keep it simple, we cannot add insulation in the walls without going to great expense, more than we can afford.

Asked By Keith Miller | Oct 20 14

Mold in crawlspace

I live in Gadsden Al,and we purchased a home and for a couple years its been smelling old,i went under the house and found the mold on the west wall where the flower planter is outside the house and by the pipes coming from the bathroom. I fogged the crawlspace very well with corcodium and I no I have to clean the walls too. But I need to bring the height of my front yard up 1 ft and at a slant to stop the water from ever going back under the house.the flower planter is 11/2 ft high and 12ft long 11/2 ft wide. and has brick on the outside.

Asked By weldon jones | Oct 21 14

Interior insulated cornice for use under low-heel roof trusses?

Has anyone found, used, or developed an interior insulated air-seal cornice for the wall to ceiling connection below a "low heel" truss eave condition that does not accommodate full attic insulation thickness?

Asked By Albert Russell | Oct 21 14

Rising power plant energy cost

See attached....SDG$E(San Diego, CA) raised the minimum tier from 12 cents to 15. We don't buy in and didn't run the AC much this year in baking heat, probably what most are doing, that and getting off the grid. This is sign of those still on the grid having to pay for the ones that are off. In KS, cost went down from 10 cents last year, to 9 probably in fear of going bankrupt like Cali. Lets see what they do with gas.

How about where you live, going up or down?

Asked By Terry Lee | Oct 15 14

Enclosed room on slab

In the midst of an enclosed porch over slab job. Plans initially included flash on un-vented roof, rigid foam on exterior, house wrap and fiberglass in walls.

Asked By Jason Schatz | Oct 16 14

What is the best ventilation system for a passive design cafe/restaurant?

We are trying to design a passive cafe/restaurant building and i want to know the best ventilation system to use for the building please.

Asked By monita taghva | Oct 20 14