Video: Dense-packed cellulose
How to install dense-packed cellulose insulation in walls: Two representatives from National Fiber, Bill Hulstrunk and Chris White, share their dense-packing tips
Watch the video
Produced by Dariusz Kanarek and Mike Dobsevage; edited by Robin Burkin
Recorded at the demonstration stage at NESEANorth East Sustainable Energy Association. A regional membership organization promoting sustainable energy solutions. NESEA is committed to advancing three core elements: sustainable solutions, proven results and cutting-edge development in the field. States included in this region stretch from Maine to Maryland. www.nesea.org's Building Energy 13 conference in Boston on March 6, 2013, two representatives from National Fiber, Bill Hulstrunk and Chris White, share the tips for installing dense-packed cellulose in wall cavities.
Cellulose insulationThermal insulation made from recycled newspaper or other wastepaper; often treated with borates for fire and insect protection. is made from recycled newspaper. When installed at a density of 3.5 pounds per cubic foot, it has an R-valueMeasure of resistance to heat flow; the higher the R-value, the lower the heat loss. The inverse of U-factor. of about R-3.6 or R-3.7 per inch.
Among the questions answered in this video:
- What tool is best for cutting InsulWeb fabric — scissors or a utility knife?
- What's the best tool for stapling InsulWeb?
- What's the maximum recommended spacing between staples?
- What are the minimum specs for an air compressor used to power a pneumatic stapler?
- What is lip stitching, and when is it necessary?
- What tool is used to make a hole in the InsulWeb when it's time to insert your cellulose tube?
- Where do you aim your tube first when you begin filling an empty stud cavity with cellulose?
- How can you tell when the cellulose has achieved 3.5 pounds per cubic foot density?
- What do you do if the insulation bellies out and stands proud of the studs?
- Does damp-sprayed cellulose have any advantages over dry dense-packed cellulose?
- How can you tell whether damp-spray cellulose was installed with too much water?
- If studs are spaced 24 inches on center, is it still possible to install cellulose insulation behind InsulWeb?