Q&A: A Forum for Green Building Experts and Beginners

Q & A Instructions

[Click map to enlarge]

The GBAGreenBuildingAdvisor.com web site has a wealth of articles on a wide variety of construction topics. Before posting your question, you may want to check out the articles on this page: How To Do Everything. You just might discover an article there that provides the information you seek.

Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions.

If you want to post a question, the usual rules of courtesy apply:
1. Be nice.
2. If you can't be nice, be polite.
3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief.

To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled “More explanation,” look for the words “File attachments.” Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

8 Answers

Closed-cell foam in an unfinished basement in Climate Zone 4/5 (NYC) -- 2" foam -- Is it enough?

Just been given a quote for 2" CC in our 1480sq ft basement for $1000. I said I didnt want to put any batts etc inside when I frame the walls eventually
Now Martin says R19 for a basement, the installer said "well you lose the dollar/R value, when you go over 2"
I said I wanted 3" for the R19.
Is it worth the extra, Im tossing it up and siding on Martins side of the more the R value the less heat Id have to put into it but also the fact that the 1st floor floors wont be so cold in winter (there is R19 in the floor joists now)
Any feedback is welcome

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked By Darren Finch | Mar 10 15
11 Answers

Insulation retrofit for radiant floor heat

I've searched this site and found a lot of useful information but no clear consensus on what is the "best" method for retrofitting insulation in radiant floors. The situation is exposed hydronic tubing stapled up to the subfloor with no heat transfer plate. The joist bays are relatively accessible from the insulated basement and crawl spaces. Climate Zone 6.

In Mechanicals | Asked By Brent Mellen | Mar 6 15
15 Answers

Any "tricks" to getting financing for an "off the grid" home?

So my wife and I just hit an unexpected road block in our attempt to purchase our dream house in Maine. We found and off the grid home on six acres in a good location to our respective workplaces but have been informed by our mortgage broker that despite being qualified to borrow far more than the asking price, we cannot take out a loan on the house because no bank will finance such a property! Were talking about a very well made house in a desirable location not some squatters encampment.

In General questions | Asked By chris steiner | Dec 1 11
4 Answers

Alpen Windows

We are planning a new home in Southeastern, Pa. We are located in climate zone 4. I have requested quotes from Bieber, Zola and have found the price too expensive for the budget. I have also received a quote from Alpen Windows. The price is slightly more than half of those that I mentioned. I realize there are major differences and tradeoffs. Does anyone have experience with Alpen Wiindows?

In Green products and materials | Asked By william dempsey | Mar 9 15
2 Answers

Heat pump question

Hey there. I stumbled onto this forum after looking for heat pump information for hours.

In General questions | Asked By Christoph Stevenson | Mar 9 15
2 Answers

I just read the article on attic fans and it does not talk about moisture build-up during the winter months

My home is 10 years old and I am getting moisture in my attic from the cold and warm air. My ceiling is getting water stains on the ceiling. My fire detectors even shorted out because of the moisture issue.
If an attic fan is a bad thing to use what would be the answer to eliminate the moisture build up I get during the winter months in Chicago?
Thank you

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked By Tom Borsodi | Mar 9 15
3 Answers

Stairway construction and geometry with open back stairs

I'm proposing a 6' wide L shaped open stairs. The treads will be 3.5" thick doug fir glulams. The stringers will also be glulams. I was planning on attaching the treads with angle iron brackets. The treads will be approx 68" wide and will be self supporting from the outside stringers.

In Building Code Questions | Asked By Rick Van Handel | Mar 9 15
5 Answers

Frost heaving of exterior foundation insulation

We have frost heaving pushing up our new exterior foundation insulation, and bending the Z flashing that sits on top of it to slope toward the house (see attached photo). Has anyone else experienced this and/or have suggestions for ways to correct the problem?

More complete story:

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked By Charlie Sullivan | Mar 9 15
26 Answers

Basement is too cold, need help in insulation

I live on the border or CT and MA. My basement is around 47 degrees. I have my basement roof insulated with R30 batt insulation. When I measured the temperature of my basement walls, above grade part is coming around 35-40 degrees and below grade is about 40-45 degrees, my basement floor is around 45-50 degrees. I put durashield paint on the basement walls to prevent from moisture ( I did not have too much moisture but I still wanted to avoid any future issues), similarly I painted my floor with two part epoxy.

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked By Amit Jindal | Feb 16 15
2 Answers

Multizone minisplit air conditioning?

Can someone tell me why I can't buy a multi-zone mini-split AC only system? Trying to find a good solution for AC for a 6-room boutique hotel in Belize. No reason to have (or pay for) heat.

Also, multi-zone systems are completely independent of each other accept for the exterior unit, correct? In other words, room A could have 2 wall units set at 72F while room B could have 2 units turned off or set at 68F, correct?

(I'm listing this under mechanicals because there wasn't a "no question is a dumb question" section!)
thx - Mike

In Mechanicals | Asked By Mike carey | Mar 9 15
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!