GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. homedesign | | #1

This link includes "good, better & best" details
    http://blog.lamidesign.com/search/label/USA%20New%20Wall

2. Mike Eliason | | #2

john,

i've been following greg's blog on the swedish pre-fab stuff for a while, there are definitely some gems in there.

i'm interested in using a spinoff of this wall for a series of panelized passivhaus projects underway. the interior air barrier is in correct location, but we're not comfortable w/ a membrane so we'll probably have to slide structural sheathing inboard of 2x (hopefully 6, not 8...) which probably has some implications we'll need to work out w/ structural and GC.

also, i'm slightly against the use of mineral wool at this point, due to the formaldehyde content (1-6%), but for rainscreens in the NW... it might not be a bad idea.

3. homedesign | | #3

I agree with Armando post #57
    https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/green-building-curmudgeon/it-time-stop-insulating?page=1&cm_BN%24V3gB7W8pUB8buxxDiDDMa_B7W8pUHUh-0=1308190084
    Swedish Platform Framing is probably not a good fit for "the South".
    And it is probably Not-So-Affordable for Custom(one of a kind) homes in many other parts of the US.

Swedish style does look like a good(not-so-foamy) and more durable alternative to SIP for modular Off-Site construction.

4. homedesign | | #4

For affordable/buildable ceiling assemblies ... I think a vented attic with a good air barrier at the ceiling combined with Cellulose "galore" is the way to go.

Affordable/Buildable (Not-so-foamy) Walls are not-so-easy
    For Wall Assemblies(in any cooling climate) I think an airtight exterior structural sheathing should be the starting point.
    The framing needs a thermal break ... either double framing or cross-hatch.

For insulation I think the two most promising(not-so-foamy) options are densepack cellulose or Mineral Wool Batts.

Why not Mineral Wool Batts?
    I would like to hear more (good & bad) about Mineral Wool Batts.

5. kevin_in_denver | | #5

Mineral Wool vs. Cellulose:

I have this opinion for the reason that the Swedes don't use cellulose insulation in their prefab wall assemblies. They don't like it because it's heavier than mineral wool (therefore more expensive to ship), and it would settle during shipment. I haven't seen anything to verify this assertion. Cellulose is a lot greener to manufacture, that's a cinch.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |