GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Rim joist at ceiling rafters

DonRoss | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Here is a wall section image from several houses I built 10 years ago.
2X6 studson 2′ centers. The rafter sits on the joist and rim with 2X6 headers in the wall below.
Considering doubling rim joist over 3′ openings instead.
Looking for input.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

Works well. The only thing to remember is that if those are attic floor joists, not just ceiling joists, you will need to use hangers on the ones over the openings.

2. user-4524083 | | #2

Donald and Malcolm -If the joists and the studs line up, which I have a feeling is Donald's plan, then I think it's fine. No?Having the "headers" in the rim joist is, I think an efficient use of resources, and I have built houses using that approach before.You'll have to strap the ceiling for those 24"o.c. joists, but you probably would have strapped anyway.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Kevin,
    If you are agreeing with Malcolm, then I agree with you, too.

If you are contradicting Malcolm's advice about joist hangers, you're wrong. Even if the joists and studs line up, the top plate over a window rough opening can sag unless you have hangers attaching the joists above the rough opening to the rim joist.

Donald, I know that your question doesn't concern the thermal performance of the wall. But the detail would be easier for my eyes to look at if it showed a layer of rigid foam on the exterior side of the studs.

4. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #4

Kevin, strapping ceilings is a regional practice that is seen as necessary throughout the east and not in the west. We frame most of our roofs at 24" and never strap them.

5. user-4524083 | | #5

Martin and Malcolm - You guys are right. The house I referred to was built awhile ago(1986) and I forgot the details. The second floor was hung from joist hangers, so that the weight of the second floor gets transferred to the doubled rim and not the plate. Thanks for the correction. Malcolm - The west must have better framing than us on the east. We normally cannot get away without strapping the ceiling.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |