GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Minnesota architects

user-6666878 | Posted in General Questions on

Does anyone have any high performance architects located in Minnesota, around the Minneapolis/St. Paul area that they can recommend? I’ve searched GBA and found a few mentions, but ideally it would be great to get some referrals from folks here who’ve worked with them.

I’m not planning on building a net-zero or Passiv certified house, just a well built high performance house.

Any recommendations would be great, thanks in advance.

-Andrew

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

Andrew. No recommendation. But we refer to your target home as a "pretty good house." Search the site and you'll find lots of information on that topic.

2. swazo | | #2

Andrew,
    I am building a house with a similar efficiency goal near Minneapolis. I had architect friends help me with the floor plan and relied on my own research for the energy efficient portion of design.
    I did consult an architect in Madison WI that I would highly recommend. Christi Webber from the Design Coalition. This is a link to a Power Point presentation about a house in South Eastern MN that Christi designed. I think it's a great read.
    http://www.designcoalition.org/projects/Root%20River/Root%20River.htm

I have learned a lot and would be happy to share with you if you would provide contact information. Mostly things I should have done differently but also some online tools and resources.

3. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3

Jim,
    I've never seen a house built on foam without a slab like that one. I'm still trying to get my head around all the implications of building that way.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Andrew,
    A residential designer who has written for GBA and Fine Homebuilding -- one with an excellent grounding in energy issues -- is Rachel Wagner. Here is her contact information:

Rachel Wagner
    Wagner Zaun Architecture
    17 North Lake Avenue
    Duluth, MN 55802
    218-733-0690
    http://www.wagnerzaun.com
    [email protected]

5. user-723121 | | #5

I second the recommendation for Rachel Wagner, she is in the loop on energy efficiency, a great gal too.

6. JustHousing | | #6

Thanks to Martin and Doug for the recommendation! Andrew, I'd be happy to talk with you about your goals and ideas. If you're reading GBA, it is likely that your definitions of "well built and high performance" align with the kind of work my firm does. Martin provided my email and phone above. I hope to hear from you.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |