GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Return air grille size

kU2SjyfzSs | Posted in General Questions on

For a newly installed 90,000 BTU gas frunace and 2.5 ton AC, the furnace manual states there must be a minimum of 250 sq. inches of free air space in the upper portion of the furnace closet door and 6 inches between closet door and front of furnace.

My furnace closet is in the hallway. My furnace has two 16″x20″ return air grilles on the front of it with 2 filters of the same size.

I read online a lot of different opinions as to what the size of return air grille should be. Should I accept what the manual states or make a larger return grille opening in the closet door? My house is approximately 1,300 sq. ft. Not very well insulated. My old furnace was smaller and did not have AC.

Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |