GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Capillary Break Needed?

Chris_King | Posted in General Questions on

I am about to start installing 1” of Roxul Drainboard on the exterior of my foundation and have plans to bring it up to my siding. The siding sticks out 1” and the Roxul is 1” thick, do I need to leave a gap between the Roxul and Vinyl siding or add some sort of break between them to keep the Roxul from wicking up water to the siding with the potential to hit the sheathing?

Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #1

Chris, there should be little to no wicking, but to keep pests from using the Roxul as a highway into your structure, you should provide a metal "termite shield" flashing.

2. charlie_sullivan | | #2

Has anyone experienced pests tunneling in Roxul? I would have thought it would be less hospitable than foam.

3. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #3

Vertical wicking in rock wool is weak, but still non-zero. If it's only in contact with vinyl siding the vinyl siding itself is the capillary break. If it's in contact with the foundation sill or wood sheathing that's another matter.

Using EPDM seam tape between the foundation sill/sheathing and the rock wool, lapped correctly to the housewrap, with another layer of seam tape formed as Z-flashing to direct bulk water coming down the housewrap to the exterior side of the rock wool will work without creating a big thermal bridge or gap.

4. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #4

Charlie,
    No experience with the Comfortboard but I did have some mice build a nest in a batt of Safe and Sound I left lying around.

5. AlanB4 | | #5

There was a GBA article saying a certain bird loved making its nest in roxul during construction

It may not be ideal but most insects and animals are adaptable, if its non toxic they will make a home in anything, so expect your roxul to get damaged unless protected.

I'll bet money an ant colony would do well in Roxul

6. JC72 | | #6

Charlie,

Roxul states that per customer feedback pests don't like their product but they don't warranty for such. However I've heard one story (via video) where a squirrel(s) ate into some unprotected batts that were sitting in a garage.

7. Chris_King | | #7

Thanks everyone for the help, in regards to Alan's comments about birds liking to nest in it i found this GBA blog about covering the exterior of a house in Roxul and the bird problem.

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/guest-blogs/wrapping-older-house-rock-wool-insulation

8. AlanB4 | | #8

Thats the one, so you have squirrels, mice and birds who like living in roxul, i think that proves its not pest resistant

9. steveoneil | | #9

Roxul drainboard against a foundation is very different from roxul batts lying around or in a cavity. Due to a long delay between renovation phases, i have had three layers of roxul drainboard exposed above grade for almost three years now. I haven't seen any pest damage of any kind. The only damage I've seen is some physical damage from myself or my dog, and where the gutter drain pipe drained directly onto the insulation for a period of time and the material sort of crumbled.

Having said that about the drainboard, I also have ~1900 square feet of comfortbatt in the attic floor. Before installing this, I had to remove the old insulation which was more mouse bodies and acorns than insulation. Since installing about 3 years ago, i've seen no evidence of the critters returning. Not making any claims, just relaying some experience.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |