GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Are there any new strategies for attaching a porch roof and deck to a house?

ekheerdt | Posted in Green Building Techniques on

I am building a new house with a wrap-around porch and am planning to wrap the entire house in a layer of foam in zone 5. I was wondering if there any new ideas or products for attaching the ledger board and roof to the house without compromising foam insulation?

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Eric,
    The Cold Climate Housing Research Center's REMOTE Manual includes a deck attachment detail (see below).

I think that a shed roof could bear on a horizontal 2x10 attached with long screws to the framing behind the foam, or perhaps attached to the vertical furring strips (as long as the flashing details are worked out).

2. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #2

Martin, I'm not that familiar with your codes, but I'm not sure that detail or several others recently posted here for second floor balconies meets the attachment requirements for lateral resistance to pullout at the ledger.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Malcolm.
    When it doubt, it's always a good idea to consult an engineer.

4. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #4

Martin, Wouldn't it be more reasonable to assume that GBA publishes details that meet the requirements of the IRC?

5. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #5

Malcolm,
    That's a good question. The IRC's deck ledger requirements have changed over the years. When I posted a link to the Cold Climate Housing Research Center's detail, I was making no engineering claims for their method.

Are there any engineers who are reading this thread? If so, I'm curious to know whether you find any engineering flaws in GBA details. We certainly strive to make sure that our recommendations comply with building codes.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |