GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I’m looking for whole-wall R-values and thermal bridging information for Faswall/Durisol block to compare against a SIPs wall.

Claire Anderson | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

I’m trying to make a decision about wall systems and am trying to determine which is the better system for my climate (southern Oregon).

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Claire,
    As far as I know, the Oak Ridge National Lab has not tested any Durisol walls for whole-wall R-value. The manufacturer has used a computer modeling program to estimate the clear-wall R-value of a Durisol Wall. See:
    http://www.durisolbuild.com/Webdocs/Durisolthermalperformance.pdf

The R-value of a Durisol wall will depend on whether insulation inserts are used before the concrete is poured. The Durisol WF30 wall form has a clear-wall R-value of R-9.1. If mineral wool inserts are included, the R-value increases to R-13.8 (with a 1.5-inch insulation insert) up to a maximum of R-20.6 (with a 3 1/2-in. insulation insert). As far as I can determine, however, these estimated R-values have not been verified by an independent third-party laboratory.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |