GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Pan heater on Mitsubishi minisplit?

nhsportsman79 | Posted in Mechanicals on

Hi

I have installed MSZ-FH09NA/MUZ-FH09NA. The supply house told me these units do not come with pan heater which should be used in cold climates like NH. However, my unit is raised 16 inches of the ground and it’s located under our porch and it’s protected from snow.

Do I still need to install these pan heaters or I can go without them?

Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Alex,
    I don't have an answer to your question, because the issue is complicated.

Here is a link to an article on the topic; I urge you to read the posted comments, too: Minisplit Heat Pumps and Blizzards.

2. brp_nh | | #2

I believe that the function of the pan heater is protection against ice buildup during defrost mode, especially during low temp and high humidity conditions (which happens in NH), it's not about snow accumulation.

The installer who put in our FH12NA said the pan heater is required in climates like NH for the warranty to be honored. He is a Mitsubishi Diamond dealer/installer and checked with a Mitsubishi rep, so I believe this info is accurate.

Based on what I saw this past winter...quite a bit of water does drain out during defrost mode in high humidity winter weather. Without a pan heater, the ice buildup could be bad.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |