moved into a house with new appliances last november.. the maytag range emits noxious fumes when over 400 degrees...have to open all the windows and exhaust fan on....is there some…
safety of PEX for drinking water Is this whole discussion somewhat superfluous, as the cities are replacing the old lead pipes with pvc pipes that bring the water to our house?
Posted: 01:01 pm on June 1st 2015
actually a lot of bad smells can come from the vapor barrier itself...a white reinforced, polyvinyl off gassing that smells remarkably like cat urine....or a black reinforced liner, does the same.... i know almost any bolt of fabric i purchase for clothing or draperies, as well as linens, sheets, towels, etc has a finish agent or sizing that consists of formaldehyde, pcbs etc....so, wouldn't most of the plastics and polyvinyl that are used for construction and remediation, also be off gassing the vocs? is there something safe that we can use to replace the present white vapor barrier that is so malodorous and i am assuming, toxic?
Posted: 05:07 pm on October 23rd 2015
No wood smoke here Martin, thank you for your time....i am quite curious why you would doubt that the smells are "truly toxic". we know they use formaldehyde on so many building materials, and we know that plastic is toxic, when heated, and so many dishwasher parts are plastic. you are correct, i have a very sensitive nose....but it is usually only sensitive to toxic elements.....bug repellents in perfumes, febreeze, glade, the toxics in laundry detergents and dryer sheets....etc...so i guess a more specific question is, what does maytag use to insulate the range, and what finish materials are used? and are these materials more or less toxic that what was used say a decade ago? as we have lived in the house for a year now, and used the range a number of times, it isn't going away, and this stuff is nasty. if it is giving my husband and i headaches and nausea, it's probably toxic, would be my guess...if it wasn't toxic, we would not be getting ill would we? i highly doubt if most of the world's population has a new gas range....i don't want to minimize the toxins by comparing them to something that might be worse...i want to know how to get a stove and appliances that are not manufactured using materials that are toxic to humans.....i may be a canary in a coal mine....but, just because it's normal, and other people take it for granted, doesn't mean it isn't hurting us....
Posted: 03:24 pm on October 24th 2015
thanks so much you guys! from Martin's response to my first question "In other words, there are two things that may help: (a) time, and (b) ventilation. If these appliances irritate you so much that you don't want to follow this advice." oh Martin, actually, i have exactly followed that advice....i worded my situation thusly: "moved into a house with new appliances last november.. the maytag range emits noxious fumes when over 400 degrees...have to open all the windows and exhaust fan on". in the hopes of letting folks know it had been close to a year in time, and not only the exhaust fan but also windows, and even the backdoor open in cold cold january and february. as well as the rest of this last year...no luck yet... from what Charlie says about his old kenmore, that is what i was trying to get to the heart of.i had a magic chef from it's inception in 1995 till a couple of years ago...i hated that stove, but it didn't stink or scare me...and thanks also Brian, no foreign objects or material, and it's not the cabinets next to the stove....so yes, i hate to pass on the problem to someone else, but if i let them know what's up....and go for an older model, i just don't know if those are worse or better, but like you say Charlie, the vocs have likely been eliminated by now....also, thanks for the links to the other forums. AS far as the dishwasher goes, i don't use the heated drying option....it just happens from the hot water i guess....again...i could probably run it with the heated dryer over and over and get out of the house, turning on fans and opening windows etc....and maybe just trigger the bake off of whatever gnarly stuff(i'd rather use a different word,but fairly new to blogs like this and don't want to swear) they use now. and yes, i was hoping there might be appliance people with your advisory staff. in ending, hate to be too skeptical, but i think the manufacturers know exactly what's being emitted and the effects that are distinct health hazards. thank you all again....i will be looking for that old kenmore that has our name on it...and probably an old dishwasher as well.....anybody you know want these gorgeous fake stainless steel monsters?
Posted: 12:23 am on October 26th 2015
ahhh, thank you Charlie, i am right in the midst of working with the radon mediation folks to replace the vapor barrier and wary of replacing that nasty smelling stuff with something that off gasses even more!
Posted: 01:20 pm on October 26th 2015
darn, i just found it it is a polyethylene that is down there now...i know there is some stuff called Tu tuff. do you folks have any experience with that....i have heard no odor, but it is expensive and punctures easily....
Posted: 01:39 pm on October 26th 2015
Wow thanks JS! sounds like you have done the "road" work...what a thing to discover! and yes, we know plastic is toxic when heated, but trying to approach the plastics industry is like the tobacco industry used to be....but bitumen! i took note, whirlpool gold.....how did you do with a range? best to you!
Posted: 12:44 pm on October 27th 2015