GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

A Leaning Garage Zone 5a CT

jenniferz5 | Posted in General Questions on

Our detached garage is probably original to the property, built in 1953.  It is leaning due to water pressure which we plan to fix this spring.  The garage is on the wrong side of a slope, with concrete blocks on the wet side (open) and on one side perpendicular (filled with cement), all on a concrete slab, with wood frame and siding that needs to be replaced.  The wood frame is curved in a few places above the perpendicular side mentioned above.

I have had – and do have – too many important home projects on my plate ($$$) to spend more than a few dollars and hours on dealing with the garage right now (I do plan to replace it eventually, but it is storage only – not for cars).  In the interim, to make it safe, can I add new wood framing members next to the curved framing members? Can I also add a couple of steel support columns?  These support columns could not be centered, as the garage door would preclude that, but I could space them as far from the sides as possible, equidistant to one another, in order to help the garage not lean further.  I will say that in the almost 5 years we have lived here, it has not seemed to lean additionally, but I have not measured it; also, it doesn’t “look” as if it is leaning, until you open the garage door.

Finally, I can easily add plywood to the interior to add extra support.

Will my plan work, or is there a better way to temporarily shore up this structure?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. Expert Member
    BILL WICHERS | | #1

    You're probably going to want to have someone qualified come out and look at the site. This probably means an engineer, or a contractor familiar with correcting structural issues like this. Without a picture it's really hard to even give you any idea how serious of a problem you may have.


Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |