GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Are there professionals who do site visits and advise on available upgrades and challenges?

AlanB4 | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I live in a house that is well over a century old and an unmitigated energy efficiency disaster (i just discovered an new conundrum recently). I’ve been doing some upgrades and asked a few questions (thanks GBA experts for your answers over the last few months), but there are issues that i am not sure how to address (for example how safe is it to dig out my very shallow crawlspace, is the dirt holding up the brick walls) and hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge then i have who might see issues i have not considered or know of solutions i have not discovered yet.

I’m located in Southern Ontario, Canada.

Second question is there visual software (preferably free) out there that i can put my house into and develop a profile of its energy consumption that i can add upgrades to see how much energy they should save. I am looking for something that is visual (ie a 2d or 3d model of a house i can modify, add walls, ceilings, crawlspaces) because i have difficulty visualizing numbers and it would be far easier for me to work with, especially with part of my interior wall becoming an exterior wall in the attic (addition is lower then the original house)


GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. Richard Beyer | | #1

    Sounds more like you need a structural engineer in your area to advise you. That form of work is best left to tradesmen who know what they are doing.

  2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

    Depending on your needs, you might want to consult with a contractor, an engineer, an architect, a home performance contractor, or an energy rater (ideally, one certified by RESNET or BPI).

    For information on energy modeling software, you might want to read this article: Energy Modeling Software.

    Many types of energy modeling software, including BeOpt, include visual representations of the modeled building.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |