Attic access

Bennett G. | Posted in General Questions on

I’m considering using a hinged gable vent to provide attic access. The building code references I’ve come across seem to specify the size, headroom and “readily accessible”.

I haven’t found any “allowed” or “prohibited” references.

What is everyone’s experience with inspectors when installing a gable access?

Malcolm Taylor | | #1

I almost always situate the access on a gable. I've never had an inspector even comment on it.

Beyond the code mandated dimensions ( which are different for walls than ceilings), the only other practical consideration would be adequate sizing for any mechanical equipment located in the attic.

2. Sam S | | #2

Like Malcolm, I've also done it and it's never been an issue.

3. Bennett G. | | #3

Thanks! That gives me confidence to push for this approach. It seems so simple and avoids the complexity of sealing and insulating an attic hatch in the ceiling.

Malcolm Taylor | | #4

Bennett,

It also avoids the mess any work in the attic brings into the house, and allows you to move long lengths of pipe or lumber into the attic.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |