Black paint with 1×4 rain screen system?
I am building new single family residential for myself in Austin, TX (Climate Zone 2B). Some details I plan on doing:
– Zip-R3 sheating, providing an external R3 layer of poly-iso insulation behind the sheathing board
– Hardie Board and Batten Siding
– A rain screen system with 1x4s as vertical strapping
– Cor-A-Vent SV5 for bug screens
– Silver colored metal roof, also installed over 1x4s
– A pretty air tight home, with foam insulation and Zip system liquid flashing around Windows and covering penetrations
I really want to paint the house black for aesthetic reasons, but am worried about energy efficiency. Do you think the rain screen system will provide enough of a thermal gap?
Some additional context: I am software engineering that decided to build his own house, so I don’t really have background in building.
Thanks for any and all help!
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part