GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

BlueSkin, VaproShield, and other peel-and-stick

joenorm | Posted in General Questions on

Are the various peel and stick WRB from reputable manufacturers basically the same thing?

I was looking particularly at the two listed in the title. I have seen both used and they appear the same just a different color.

Anyone have experience with these types of products and like one over the other?


GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    Q. "Are the various peel and stick WRB from reputable manufacturers basically the same thing?"

    A. No. Some products (like Grace Ice & Water Shield) are vapor barriers. Other products (like WrapShield SA and BlueSkin VP 100) are vapor-permeable. Choose carefully: it matters.

    1. joenorm | | #2

      Thanks Martin,

      I think after reading this website and others over the last months, I am finally starting to understand.

      As much as I'd like to use one of these products "newer" WRB systems turns out they are quite expensive. Thats OK if they are totally worth it, but for someone on a tight budget do you have a proven "economy" method for air and water sealing a traditional stud framed wall?

      I am open to ZIP but like many, have always liked ply better. I think I prefer liquid sealant over tape.

      In a perfect world I would incorporate 1.5 inches of Rock Wool to the exterior.

      So my wall may look something like: Interior Paint, drywall, 2x6 frame with cellulose in bays, plywood, (insert favorite weather sealing technique here), Rock wool, Siding


      1. GBA Editor
        Martin Holladay | | #3

        Your air barrier is likely to be the plywood sheathing layer, so you'll have to tape the plywood seams carefully with high-quality tape (perhaps Zip System tape or 3M All Weather Flashing tape).

        Your list of layers omitted a water-resistive barrier (WRB). A WRB is required by code and recommended by building experts. Either asphalt felt or housewrap will work. More information here: "All About Water-Resistive Barriers."

        1. joenorm | | #4

          Thanks Martin,

          The WRB was where I wrote "(insert"

          I was looking for a specific recommendation on a WRB when considering both budget and performance. I will read the article you linked.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |