GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Calculating the pressure difference of a home WRT outside

Dan Phillips | Posted in General Questions on

Back in college I was shown a formula that use the temperature difference between indoors & outdoors (Fahrenheit) , and the height of the house (feet), and a fudge factor to calculate what the pressure difference would be between the home and outside (in Pascals).

I can’t seem to find it. Does anyone know that formula, or the elusive fudge factor is?

Dan Phillips

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    As far as I know, you need a manometer to determine the indoor-to-outdoor pressure difference.

    For one thing, your list of factors omitted the effect of wind. Remember that the outdoor pressure on the windward side of the house will be different from the outdoor pressure on the leeward side of the house.

    That said, if you want to sharpen your pencil and estimate the delta-P (ignoring wind), here are links to two sites that provide the formulae:

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |