Concrete sealer for laying tile on basement slab

Smoke Teff | Posted in General Questions on

As part of an ongoing basement renovation, I am planning to lay tile on the concrete slab. I’ve read that it’s wise to use a concrete sealer between the slab and morter for moisture-proofing purposes–I’ve also read that this sealer should be flexible/elastomeric in order to help prevent cracks in the tile.

I sealed the walls in black liquid rubber foundation sealant and have a few gallons leftover. Would this work? One source said rubber was ideal, but another said a sodium silicate or lithium silicate based sealer was ideal. 

Any opinions/advice?

2. Smoke Teff | | #2

Hi Malcolm,

I assume that link means you're endorsing that product as one that would work in this situation. I can't tell, however, if you're suggesting that the product I mention is inappropriate or wouldn't work for some reason.

That product can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZG491R9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Malcolm Taylor | | #4

Yes. Redgard is made for exactly what you are doing, and has a great track record. Keith has given you good advice about what you are suggesting as an alternative.

3. Keith Gustafson | | #3

I think the problem with your idea is that it is not intended to lay tile on, or be indoors.

There could be bonding issues.

Or not

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |