GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Do I need a Tyvek-type barrier?

user-7030272 | Posted in General Questions on

I am building g in nw ohio-zone 5- 2×4 walls filled with open cell foam and 2″ of foam (eps or xps ?) On the exterior of 7/16 osb sheeting. From what i’ve read, it seems like I do not need a tyvek type barrier. Not sure if I’m understanding that correctly and would appreciate further clarification. Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    First of all, can you tell us your name?

    Every wall is required by code to have a water-resistive barrier (WRB). It is not optional.

    Your WRB will usually be housewrap (for example, Tyvek), but in some cases you can use rigid foam as a WRB. For more information on these issues, see these two articles:

    All About Water-Resistive Barriers

    Using Rigid Foam As a Water-Resistive Barrier

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |