Paint Finish to Hide Drywall Imperfections

thegiz | Posted in General Questions on

Hi hope all is well. I insulated and put up drywall in my basement following the advice on this forum. I had 2 gallons of semi gloss latex paint left over so I painted the walls. I ran out mid project so now I need to buy more paint. I noticed all my imperfections in the drywall job. Went around and patched a few areas with compound. Wondering what sheen I should get, I’m going to use the same color. Should I go for a satin, eggshell finish? The lower sheen will be easier to hide imperfections but less durable according to what I’m reading online.

Michael Maines | | #1

With newer formulations of higher-end paint, lower sheens are much more durable than they used to be. I usually go with matte or flat on walls and one sheen up from that on trim. Flat on ceilings.

Typical around here is eggshell on walls and semi-gloss on trim and that's fine too. I would never use semi-gloss on walls and I don't like it on trim either.

2. plumb_bob | | #2

Flat is great for hiding imperfections, but it reflects less light and is much harder to clean. If you have kids, you should plan on using something other than flat on the walls, or plan on re-painting in X amount of years.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |