Exhaust-Only Ventilation – Latest update based on actual experience or testing?
I’ve read a ton of the articles plus Q&A that address pros and cons of the various ventilation options. Regarding the exhaust only, my understanding that the commentary from Mr. Nagan’s actual experience with a number of their homes was that the exhaust only was just fine.
Secondly, in other articles the bottom line seemed to be that exhaust only could work fine in small homes with open floorplans and tightness levels that are below PassivHaus. So…
1. Are there significant actual experiences or studies done to contradict what Joe Nagan said about exhaust only working fine in his experience in Wisconsin homes he’s seen?
2. What is considered to be a “small home with open floorplan” in which the exhaust only might work?
A few notes:
– plans attached
– new construction is in Western MT zone 6 (dry climate in general)
– no plans right now for anyone to sleep upstairs fulltime (just guests) and office use in big flex room
– rental apartment above the garage is just there for future build out potential, but will be left unfinished now
– induction stove and electric dryer
There are enough homes and systems out there that I’m not really interested in theory, but rather actual experience and/or tests.
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part