Floating floor over a new insulated slab
We are in the middle of a project where the client would like a “floating” wood floor to be installed in the basement on a concrete slab. We have the flooring product and the contractor would like to install it this way…
- Install some marine grade plywood to help flatten the floor a bit by gluing and fastening it to the slab.
- Install a continuous (taped) 2MM closed cell underlayment over the entire floor
- Install the “floating” wood floor on top of the underlayment
Does anyone have any comments or see any red flags with this installation?
- There is R-15 rigid foam insulation and poly under the entire slab.
- This is new construction
- The slab will not be heated internally (not radiant)’
- The basement is conditioned space
- The house is heated with a GS Heat Pump and has an HRV
- No signs of any “bulk” water getting into the house for the last 2 springs
GBA Detail Library
A collection of one thousand construction details organized by climate and house part