Foundation drain tile and filter fabric

Dan Nospa | Posted in General Questions on

Hi all,

So I have finally finished waterproofing my foundation wall (used MasterSeal HLM 5000 its about 4ft below grade). I am going to be adding 2″ XPS and then miradrain drainage mat to the outside of that. This leads me to the drain tile and footer. I am planning on running the water to a drywell in the future eventually.

Trying to figure out what filter fabric to use. I have 4″ sch 40 pipe and planned on 3/4 crushed gravel to bury the pipe wrapped by filter fabric. Might also add a filter sock as an extra layer of protection.

Any recommendations on which filter fabric to use?

Also anyone have any photos of drain tiles showing clean outs? I was thinking adding a few sweeps that come up so I could clean out down the road.

Dan,
    I recommend that you buy whatever brand of filter fabric is sold at your local building supply store.

Attached are some photos of clean-out pipes.

.

Dan,
    Here's a detail showing filter fabric.

.

3. Dan Nospa | | #3

Thank you Marty. Seems there is really cheap fabric which was available at the concrete/paver/big box stores and is not the one that goes around the drain tile. The building places have geotextile non woven. Much more expensive but what should be used here in North New Jersey. Material sold locally is 4 mil.

Dan,
    Sorry, but I'm not an expert on filter fabric.

Once these fabrics are protected from sunlight (by burying them), they should last a long time. But clearly, you need to choose a fabric that is durable enough to withstand the typical job-site abuse that accompanies installation.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |