Garage drywall and waterproofing

JackofAllTrades777 | Posted in General Questions on

I like to wash out my garage floors so what would be a good drywall/sheetrock design that would keep the bottom 4 feet of the wall from getting saturated with water and damage?

Should I install standard drywall and then coat it with something to make it waterproof? If so, what is a good coating to put on?

Or pay for the Denshield or Greenboard for the bottom 4 feet of the garage wall?

Peter,
    The most water-resistant material would probably be cement board (cementitious tile underlayment). For the highest level of water resistance, use a cement-based stucco instead of drywall compound to finish the panels.

2. Jon_R | | #2

Maybe cover with textured fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) wall panels.

3. JackofAllTrades777 | | #3

Is green board with FRP a good way to go?

4. user-2310254 | | #4

Green board is not as water resistant as something like DensGlass, and DensGlass really needs a fluid applied water resistant barrier. You might be able to use DensElement (properly installed), but I think Martin has suggested the most cost-effective and bulletproof approach.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |