Grading/slope around house and using gravel

stryped1 | Posted in General Questions on

I am in the process of re sloping around the foundation of my house. Can anyone recommend what slope I need?

Also, I have been thinking of using crusher run and tamp it to the proper slope around the foundation. Then installing black 6 mil plastic. On top of this my land scape river gravel. At the end of the slope would be a French drain.

Does anyone see any problems with using the crusher run to slope or using the plastic the way I am talking about?

Dan,
    The standard recommendation is that you need at least 6 inches of drop every 10 feet. That's a 5% grade.

Ideally, most of the backfill around your foundation (above the footing drain) is free-draining material like gravel or crushed stone, and the top few inches consists of a clay-rich topsoil to encourage drainage away from the foundation. Few builders achieve this, however.

You can proceed as you plan, but since the materials you are choosing are all free-draining, the "underground roof" details are very important. Without any soil or clay, the only thing stopping water is your proposed layer of plastic. EPDM roofing -- something fairly heavy -- would be better than 6 mil plastic.

For more information, see:

An Underground Roof

Ground Gutter

Fixing Those Drainage Problems, 30 Years Later

FHB: Inground gutters keep basements dry

GBA Encyclopedia: Inground Gutters

GBA Encyclopedia: Stormwater Management

GBA Encyclopedia: Roof Gutters

GBA Detail: Underground Water Barrier Retrofit

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |