Hardie or Boral or Cedar Channel

Jessica Williams | Posted in Green Products and Materials on

Looking at siding options for my client.
We want the nickel gap or v-groove look.
I can find some not-so-nice info on fiber cement – does anyone have an opinion on ash products like Boral True Exterior?  Or what about untreated or treated cedar? 
Project is on Cape Cod

Peter Yost | | #1

Hi Jessica -

Looks as though longtime GBAer Carl Seville used this cladding on his own project just a couple of years ago.

Let me ping Carl and see what he thinks of his cladding choice.

Best - Peter

2. User avatar
    Carl Seville | | #2

I used Boral Tru Exterior for all the exterior on my house with the exception of some soffit lookouts and miscellaneous trim. While I didn't to the installation personally, the crew had no complaints about working with the material and I particularly like the profiles. I used the traditional lap siding, which they no longer produce, as well as their solid stock for all the corners and casings, and the beadboard pattern for the porch ceilings. There has been a little longitudinal shrinkage creating small gaps at the butt ends of the siding this winter, I expect that it will close back up when the weather warms up. If not, I will have a little paint touch up to do. It has been installed since early 2017 and no signs of any failures or movement other than noted above. Overall I am very pleased with the product, and appreciate the variety of patterns and sizes that offer more options than other composite products. All the siding and trim in the attached photo is Tru Exterior except for the column caps and bases and the bed moulding.

1. Jessica Williams | | #5

Thanks - beautiful

3. Kevin Spellman | | #3

I am going to use the Hardi Artisan V-groove. It is more reasonable priced than the Boral, which I also liked.

4. Jessica Williams | | #4

Thanks for the replies. I looked at Hardie Artisan but they do not carry it on the east coast unless I just can't find it. I like the Boral profiles better but I'm exploring. My preference would be charred cedar but I think my clients will not like the price.

5. Kevin Spellman | | #6

Jessica--do a search for Mitchell Carpentry in West Lafayette, Indiana. Give Mitch a call about the charred cedar. He has started producing various charred woods and is much more reasonably priced than the current suppliers.

1. User avatar
      Stephen Sheehy | | #8

Does anyone but me hate the look of charred wood siding? A friend put it on her house. It looks awful, especially after a few years. And you can't touch it without getting soot all over yourself. Plain old untreated cedar lasts a very long time, for a much lower cost.

1. John Clark | | #9

I like it as accent pieces. Charred siding requires oil treatment much like wood painted with linseed oil. The deeper the char coupled with the require care the longer it'll last (50+ years)

2. Malcolm Taylor | | #10

Stephen,

Black siding on modernist style boxes became fashionable a few years ago. I suspect (admittedly on no evidence except that they coincided) the enthusiasm for Shou Shugi ban comes from providing a cultural provenance or justification for having a black house. I can't think of may landscapes where a black building adds much.

6. User avatar
    Stephen Sheehy | | #7

On Cape Cod, why not use the traditional white cedar shingles? Long lasting, no maintenance.

7. User avatar
    Michael Maines | | #11

Mike Guertin used Boral Nickelgap siding on this house I designed in Rhode Island: https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2016/11/08/nickel-gap-dormer-siding. I have not installed it myself but have mostly heard good things about it from the field. It's nearly indestructible, and uses a waste product (fly ash). Personal protective gear is necessary. It has a bigger carbon footprint than most wood siding, though.

While I don't agree with Stephen on the aesthetics of shou sugi ban--I think it's beautiful, if done well, on the right projects--I do agree that natural cedar is also beautiful, plus it's local, renewable, and naturally rot-resistant. It's my first choice on most projects, usually as shingle siding, but it's also available in board form. It's definitely popular on Cape Cod.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |