GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Adding Another Heating Zone

43chevclassic | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

Hi, looking to add a zone to my heating system.  I currently have a propane boiler with four zones, 1) HWT 2) Air exchange 3) infloor in garage and I want to add infloor under joist throughout the main floor.  My question is, once the pex is installed underfloor, what is best to reflect the heat upwards?  Plates or insulation or both? The house has a crawl space 4-ft. and main is approx 1300 sqft.


GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. Jon R | | #1

    Common practice is plates and then R13 or so of fiberglass insulation.

  2. 43chevclassic | | #2

    Thanks Jon!

  3. Richard McGrath | | #3

    Not just plates though . Extruded aluminum plates by Uponor or Radiant Engineering are best .

    The higher the R value insulation you use the lesser the downward loss will be . Does not have to be foil backed or even have paper . The resistance to heat flow is all you need be concerned about

    1. 43chevclassic | | #4

      great I'll look at the product, Thanks

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |