Horizontal furring strips on rainscreen around windows

user-7005952 | Posted in General Questions on

I am having my siding and windows replaced. As part of this project, I specified that a rainscreen be installed. When reviewing the work today, I noticed that they are installing horizontal furring strips above and below the windows. Is there any reason to be concerned about the strips above the windows inhibiting drainage?

I found several discussions of horizontal rainscreens on the site, and I assume this would not be much different from that.

Also, as you can see in the pictures, they decided to use a drainage wrap, HydroGap, in addition to the rainscreen. I suspect this further ameliorates any concerns.

I already have several unrelated issues that I have brought up with them, and I would prefer to not raise this if it is a non-issue.

Thank you,

Greg

MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

I wouldn't be very worried about the strips. Ideally the vertical ones both below and above the window are kept off the sill and head a bit to allow some air movement, but it isn't critical. What is a problem is that the head-flashing should be behind the rain-screen and be lapped by your WRB. The only time flashing gets mounted on top of the rain-screen strips is where there is a horizontal change in siding materials or trim.

2. user-7005952 | | #2

Malcolm, thanks for bringing that up. I hadn't thought that far ahead. I will raise that with them.

MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3

Greg,
    From the photos it looks like an easy fix. If you remove the horizontal furring above the windows, you can install the flashing and it leaves a space for air to circulate.

4. JC72 | | #4

If you want to get really fancy with the flashing details.

https://hammerandhand.com/best-practices/manual/4-rain-screens/4-2-top-window/

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |