Housewrap WRB Left Exposed for Too Long… Add a Layer?

jamesboris | Posted in General Questions on

Hello, I’m finishing up a tiny house in Zone 2A, near Austin. In late May, I wrapped the house with Tyvek Commercial Wrap (9-month UV exposure rating). In mid-July, I installed the windows/doors with Zip flashing and stretch tape (6-month rating).

It might be April before I can install the siding (w/1/2″  plywood rainscreen), and we had a long, sunny, dry, record-hot (103+ many days) summer. So I’m worried about these UV ratings. Can/should I just wrap another layer of Tyvek over everything? I don’t want to staple through the window flashing… so maybe there I could hold the Tyvek in place with a little piece of tape, then hurry to install the rainscreen? 

Pretty rough/stressful realization that I just can’t make my deadline, but I don’t want to trade bad for worse…

1. Patrick_OSullivan | | #1

It can't really hurt. But, you could also just use it as temporary protection rather than carefully installing and detailing the second layer.

1. jamesboris | | #2

Well, if I put it up, I don't want to take it down again. I'd have to patch all the holes under it. The detailing of the 2nd layer couldn't be that intense anyway, unless I pull the windows out...

Akos | | #3

House wrap holds up for a long time, well past its official UV rating. If it is a matter of a couple of months I would not worry about it.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |