How can I get around installing an exhaust fan in my laundry closet?

Joe Norm | Posted in General Questions on

Hi All,

I am building a 3bed, 2bath house with exhaust fans in both baths.

Code says I need another exhaust fan in my “laundry,” which is basically a closet opposite the downstairs bathroom, across a small hall. 

It seems silly to install a fan there that I’ll never use, but code says I have to.

Are there any work arounds for this? 

Thanks for any ideas.

Malcolm Taylor | | #1

Joe,

Can you link to the code provision? I've never heard of that. Is it in the IRC or a local code?

1. Joe Norm | | #3

It must be a local code.

Akos | | #2

You can use an inline fan for one of the bathrooms and T off it to the laundry closet.

Some of the standard bath fans have enough space on one side to cut a round hole and install a 3" collar. You can then just run a duct from this to the closet. Won't flow much but will do something.

3. Tom May | | #4

If it is a gas dryer, you need make up air if it is in a closet. They sometimes also require a louvered door. The fan will draw fresh air in and also act as an exhaust, if that is their reason. Normal gas code.

1. Joe Norm | | #5

It will not be a gas dryer

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |