GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How do you insulate an A-frame home?

bravechix | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I purchased an “A” frame and it has the wood exposed. It has been left intentionally unfinished to give it the cabin feel. The bedrooms are on the front 1/4 and the last 1/4 of the 2nd floor of the house leaving the 1/2 in the middle open with a high peak ceilings exposed. I worry that it will be very cold this winter. Also, if you were to put insulation in the bedrooms – how do you properly vent this?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    The usual way to insulate this type of roof (a roof with exposed sheathing on the interior) is by installing rigid foam insulation on top of the roof sheathing.

    Your roof may already be insulated. Try to measure the roof thickness or drill a 1-inch diameter hole in an inconspicuous spot to determine what materials are installed above your roof sheathing. Maybe there is already a layer of foam insulation there.

    If your roof is totally uninsulated -- and if you want to keep the appearance of the roof / ceiling the same as it is now from the interior -- then you'll need to strip the existing roofing, and install one or more layers of rigid foam on top of your roof sheathing, followed by another layer of plywood or OSB, and new roofing. In some cases, builders like to install vent channels above rigid foam. However, if your foam is thick enough, these vent channels are unnecessary.

    Another option is to install nailbase panels above your sheathing. (A nailbase panel is a layer of rigid foam bonded on one side to OSB.) It's even possible to buy vented nailbase panels.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |