How should I insulate my basement walls?

Simon Bender | Posted in General Questions on

I live in northwestern South Carolina. I am finishing a basement and am planning to coat the block walls with a good damp-proofing product and then glue 1-2″ of rigid foam insulation on top of that. I plan to leave a small airspace between the rigid foam and my stud wall, which will be finished with sheetrock The ceiling will not be insulated. I have two questions:

1. Is this a good overall plan?
2. Should I still insulate the stud wall with fiberglass batt insulation?

Simon,
    Q. "Is this a good overall plan?"

A. Yes, although more insulation is always better than less -- you could always install 3 inches.

Q. "Should I still insulate the stud wall with fiberglass batt insulation?"

A. No. Fiberglass batts should never be installed on a basement wall, because they perform poorly in a damp environment.

2. Doug McEvers | | #2

Simon,

You and Martin have it exactly right, this is the safe way to insulate a basement wall.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |