How to find a local energy consultant

Armadillo | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’m in the planning stage of building a house and I want to hire a consultant who can advise me on the best solutions for insulating, heating, cooling and ventilating the house. I don’t want to depend on contractors because of their possible vested interest in their recommendations. How do a find such a consultant? I live in SE Michigan.
Kevin Miller

Kevin,
    You probably want to start by looking for a local home energy rater certified by RESNET or the Building Performance Institute (BPI). If you visit the RESNET and BPI web sites, you can find information on finding a local expert.

You might also want to consult an architect or a mechanical engineer, although admittedly the quality of the advice given by architects and engineers varies widely, from worthless to excellent.

2. user-1072251 | | #2

Another option is to look for local Passive House Institute US (PHIUS) certified professionals here: http://www.phius.org

3. user-2890856 | | #3

Try Brett Little from Green Home Institute . SE Michigan is quite vague but he has certainly worked on homes in Ann Arbor .
    In the Resnet / BPI group on linkedin there is a discussion about the home in Ann Arbor that has a Hers rating of -11 . Maybe he can help you

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |