GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How to find a local energy consultant

Armadillo | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I’m in the planning stage of building a house and I want to hire a consultant who can advise me on the best solutions for insulating, heating, cooling and ventilating the house. I don’t want to depend on contractors because of their possible vested interest in their recommendations. How do a find such a consultant? I live in SE Michigan.
Kevin Miller

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

    You probably want to start by looking for a local home energy rater certified by RESNET or the Building Performance Institute (BPI). If you visit the RESNET and BPI web sites, you can find information on finding a local expert.

    You might also want to consult an architect or a mechanical engineer, although admittedly the quality of the advice given by architects and engineers varies widely, from worthless to excellent.

  2. user-1072251 | | #2

    Another option is to look for local Passive House Institute US (PHIUS) certified professionals here:

  3. user-2890856 | | #3

    Try Brett Little from Green Home Institute . SE Michigan is quite vague but he has certainly worked on homes in Ann Arbor .
    In the Resnet / BPI group on linkedin there is a discussion about the home in Ann Arbor that has a Hers rating of -11 . Maybe he can help you

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |