I built a new home 4 years ago and need advice on an HRV.
Background info: The home is a single story home (2300 SF) on a Superior Walls (XI, R12.5) basement (one basement wall is exposed for a walk out), The heating/cooling system is underground loop Geothermal which provides heating and cooling of a 40 gallon batch tank, which is then distributed through radiant tubing in the basement floor (heat) as well as an air handler for cooling and supplemental heat for the living area if heat is needed. Our home is located in Northwestern PA.
I had an energy audit conducted:
Building Size SQFT CuFT
Main Floor 2250 20250
Basement 2250 21375
Current CFM50 from Blower Door Test conducted by Superior Energy: 1658
Current ACH@50 = 2.38990991
Additionally they detected air leakage/moisture at the rim joists and several other areas which I have since eliminated with 2 part spray foam.
I was told by the auditor that I needed to install a 60-140 CFM HRV installed to increase my ventilation and reduce my moisture.
After reading countless articles on ventilation, HRV’s, ducting, etc I am more confused than before. Unfortunately there are very few articles more recent than 2014 and no information on comparing HRV performance/reliability other than manufacture advertisements (everyone makes the best units).
My questions are:
– Can anyone recommend a website that discusses HRV performance ratings and how to decipher all of the data?
– Any recommendations for comparisons of HRV’s?
– Any recommendations good or bad for HRV’’s?
– Do the 60 to 140 CFM numbers sound right, one HVAC tech stated that he would not install anything over 40 CFM.
– Thank You for any information/guidance you can provide.