Hybrid hot water heater installation

Andrew G | Posted in General Questions on

I’m thinking about installing a hybrid hot water heater so I can turn off my oil boiler in the summer months. With Maine rebate I can install for under $400, which is about how much my oil bill is each year. I also have a wood boiler that I run during the winter. Over 90% of my heating needs are done with wood. Both the oil and wood can heat my domestic hot water.

I’m wondering if I should install the water heater in line after the boilers so that they feed the cold water going into the hybrid water heater OR should I keep the units separate with valves? Thank you.

Andrew,
    If you're pretty sure that your boilers can provide plenty of hot water during the winter, you might want to install the new heat-pump water heater with appropriate valves (as well as a circuit breaker, of course).

There's no reason to use electricity, even a relatively small amount, to keep the electric water heater warm for 6 months if you don't need to.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |