GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I would like some information on sump systems from the 1960s or 1970s.

23nDr2H32n | Posted in General Questions on

I have a house that was built in the late 1960s and in the basement I have a aprox. 3 foot round hole with a steel or catiron liner the is about 4 feet deep. This liner has several inlets coming into it that appear blocked. 2 are approx. 2″ in diamator ands on is 3/4” in diamitor. What I need to know is given the information above could this be a french drain type system and how would I know Also is there any way to figure out where the ppipes for such a system would run as the basement has a concrete floor?
We live in climate zone 5 on the map that was shown. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Steve

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. gusfhb | | #1

    Septic system guys have a widget to track pipes underground give those guys a ring

  2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

    The drain pipe could come from almost anywhere; I don't think there is any way to generalize about such systems. Hopefully none of the pipes are discharging wastewater with a sewage smell (black water).

    The most probable types of drain pipes connected to a sump are footing drains, interior French drains, and floor drains installed in the concrete slab of your basement. However, other types of drains may have been hooked up, including a washing-machine drain. You never know.

    You can always try to snake out the drains from the sump. That can't hurt.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |