Insect screen for an exterior rigid foam wall

randygiles | Posted in Energy Efficiency and Durability on

I live in the San Francisco bay area and am going to use 1-1/2″ rigid foam board and a rain screen on the exterior of my house. I have read numerous articles in regards to using insect screen at the tops and bottoms of the rainscreen wall, however no specific details about the type of insect screen is ever mentioned.

There are numerous types of insect screens (Aluminum, Fiberglass Bronze, galvanized, etc.) available. There are also different mesh configurations.

Do any of you have experience or suggestions for a particular type and mesh that works well with a raincreen (or perhaps maybe I am overthinking this issue).

Thanks for any comments.

Randy Mason

MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

All houses here have to be built with rain screens. No one uses insect screen anymore, it is too easily damaged and then is impossible to replace. Use a U shaped perforated metal flashing you can slip over the bottom of your rain screen strapping, or in the case of exterior foam, over the foam and strapping. Keeps both bugs and rodents out.
    Something like this:
    http://www.menzies-metal.com/vent-flashings/perforated-j-channel-rain-screen-high-back

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |