GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Is this an asbestos HVAC boot cover?

rhamm05 | Posted in General Questions on

Hi!

My wife and I just closed on our home. I was down in the basement, putting some aluminum tape to cover some old HVAC tape our inspector believed some asbestos. And I noticed the attached HVAC boot.

This looks like an asbestos covering to me… But I want to see if there’s a way to encapsulate rather than remove. Would spraying something like Gorilla’s Patch and Seal Spray seal it well enough to be safe? There’s no indication I can tell that it’s anywhere inside the venting at all. 

Thanks!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

    1. rhamm05 | | #2

      That's how I landed on this site actually! But it didn't really have a suggestion other than to use the asbestos contractor the asker already has coming... as far as I know the ducts don't have tape inside of them, so I'm not needing to remove the actual ducts. I'm just trying to figure out if encapsulation is even an option. Thank you for your response!

  1. Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia | | #3

    Rhammo5,

    If you read sites such as https://inspectapedia.com/hazmat/Duct_Asbestos.php, you already know this is a potential hazard (assuming there is asbestos). If it were my house, I'd be concerned since the boot and tape both appear to have some damage and there may be exposed fibers on the inside of the duct.

  2. Walter Ahlgrim | | #4

    No one on the internet can give you a definitive answer only a laboratory with a sample under the microscope.

    Is your real estate market so hot that you chose to proceed without getting it tested?

    Walta

  3. Joel Cheely | | #5

    The stuff I've dealt with is very receptive to moisture, so I don't know why any water-based paint or similar wouldn't bind the particles and keep them from getting airborne. On the other hand, it's very easy to safely remove yourself, using a spray bottle with soapy water and a scraper.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |