Looking for ideas

yJALAGkYBV | Posted in General Questions on

Once a roofer always a roofer.. could not agree more. Here’s the problem.
Looking at the front of my house the lower section of roof ( over the family
room and garage) has a dip/sway in the area over the family room ( 12′ wide).
Vaulted ceiling inside, first room I finished in the house… I know, I
know.. but the room really needed done. Spring of 2012 is reroof of the
house. I could show off my carpentry skills by pulling the plywood in the dip /sway
area, shimming the rafters and then resheathing. But I am open for another
solution. I have thought of 1/4″ foam panels, edges tapered to fill the dip
and then longer roof nails… just didnt feel right. Multiple layers of #30
felt.. again, not sure. I guess I’m looking for a fix for a cosmetic issue
that will not require an additional day, possible damage to finished interior
finishes and $$$. Doing the work myself….I have one more roof in me and
then I’m done.

You’re up

1. gusfhb | | #1

I think i would want to know 'why' the roof was swaying.

2. yJALAGkYBV | | #2

When I redid the family room I stripped the plaster and checked the framing. From what I could tell it was a wee bit of an overspan for a 2x8. No other issues were found, I added collar ties hidden in beams. I am now left with this exterior cosmetic issue. I know.. man up, strip the sheathing, plane, shim ... ok ok...humor me. I have till the spring to come up with another answer.

Bill,
    Shimming on top of plywood is fussy work, but nothing is impossible if you have a few bundles of cedar shingles, some glue and tacks, and lots of time.

It will be faster, however, to pull the sheathing and sister something to the rafters -- 2x8s if you want to do it right, or 2x4s if you just want a cosmetic fix.

4. yJALAGkYBV | | #4

I can't tell you the number of times I have given in and said "just strip the plywood, dude"... but then I say "but maybe..." I am a FHB reader since issue 1. I can't tell you how hard it was to bear my soul and ask for a cosmetic fix. After all these years of some of the coolest stuff I have ever seen I should have known that my first idea was the right one. Now let's see... wifey's excellent fried chicken dinner and some beers... that may get me a crew.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |