GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Masonry heaters and U.S. building code?

user-1137156 | Posted in Building Code Questions on

From what I understand US codes require two walls of masonry. My question is can the outer wall requirement be met with ” stuco”, and if yes is there a minimum thickness? Apparently European codes allow “single wall masonry heaters.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. wjrobinson | | #1

    Jerry, there is no US bilding code. Contact your local building code office for your needs. Also I would call a seller of Masonry heaters.

    What is stuco? And how about a posting a detail?

  2. Expert Member
  3. Alex House | | #3

    One aspect you may want to investigate is the requirement that flues and smoke chambers not be inclined more than 45 degrees from the vertical. Sometimes this is resolved by having an engineer stamp the design.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |