MERV FILTER alternative

Shawnnixon1 | Posted in General Questions on

I ordered a Panasonic ERV IB 200 and the merv filter is 130$ canadian…replacing these every 3 months is expensive, does anyone know if anyone else makes these?

1. user-5946022 | | #1

I googled FV-FL1310VE1-MERV-13 and found replacements for $43 each from Supplyhouse.com
    That is a reputable outfit - I've bought from them before...

Also came up at the same price from Panasonic Factory outlet.

Faucet Warehouse, which I've never heard of (so somewhat suspect) has them for $31.80, and Northcoast will sell you a 4 pack for $40/each

Akos | | #2

The best way is to install an external filter box between the outdoor fresh air supply and the unit. This way it can take a standard furance filter which are much cheaper and last way longer. I use an Fantech FB6 but that is undersized for your unit. Unfortunately there are not a lot of great off the shelf options out there for this. You can try searching as some of the MUA systems do come with a decent filter enclosure.

If you have a good sheet metal shop, the simplest would be to ask them to mount a set of 6" collars onto say a 14x20x1 (if you want even longer life go for a 16x25x4) filter rack. Wrap it in rigid to prevent condensation.

1. user-5946022 | | #3

AKOS - Really great idea. Thank you. I had no idea such a device even exists.

My intake is at a vent in a soffit, then ducted inaccessibly between a ceiling and floor to the ERV. I found I was removing bugs from the ERV filter, so finally installed a fiberglass screen behind the soffit intake grill. Now I find I have to clean that screen every few months. Wish I could find a thin device for installation at the soffit that would make it easy to remove and reinstall the fiberglass screen often...I've thought of trying to hire a high school kid to 3d print me something...

3. Shawnnixon1 | | #4

I dont have a furnace

Akos | | #5

This is nothing to do with a furnace. You are simply using a furnace filter as pre-filter for the ERV. This way the internal filter will last longer and if you use a high Merv pre-filter it can be eliminated or replaced with a washable foam filter. The factory high Merv filter is pretty restrictive, replacing it probably drops the blower power use by 1/4 to 1/2.

This way you are now replacing only standard furnace filters which are much cheaper.

1. Shawnnixon1 | | #6

This is why I oversized the ERV, I really need about 110CFM and got a 200 CFM how would I use a furnace filter in the erv? How will it fit?

Akos | | #7

The filter is external, mounted in line on the duct that brinings the outdoor fresh air to the ERV.

The filter is mounted into a filter box, something like this:

https://shop.fantech.net/en-US/fb--6--inline--filter--box--merv13/p97732

This one is fine for 110CFM but would be too restrictive for 200.

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |