GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Minisplit duct work – see picture

lookloan | Posted in General Questions on

I attached a ducted mini-split picture I’ve seen on GBA and I am impressed on how well the curved and other  metal pieces off the min-split small air-handler are done. I notice there are white square stickers on each of the ductwork metal pieces and I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a source ductwork pieces like these are available from rather than having to re-invent the wheel an have them custom made?  I would think Mitsubishi and other brands have standard sizes on these units.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.


  1. MattJF | | #1

    Those are most likely custom parts or at least specified and build to order. I'm not a pro, but I have looked and never found such parts off the shelf.

    There are lots of sheet metal manufactures who build these parts. The vast majority of their work is commercial. I've never tried to order directly from one. They may need a print to work from. If you are not up for making your own parts, I would try calling or stopping by a few sheet metal manufacture. They will be places like this:

    Doing custom sheet metal work isn't too bad to DIY. I attached a photo the Fujitsu design I am working my way through to replace an existing gas furnace. I have a cheap Harbor frieght bend brake and have made up some workable transition pieces that were not available. The attached photo is a 10"x3.25" to 6" round wye I made up.

  2. Expert Member
    Akos | | #2

    Looks to be 6" ducting which is very hard to find nowadays as 8" is the standard, could very well be custom.

    I find upsizing to 8" makes things much easier. You can use either a section of 8x10 duct turned sideways or a large reducer as plenums and go with standard fittings from there. Swept flat elbows are standard item at HVAC places, they are tighter radius than the ones in the picture.

    Return elbows make for decent intake plenums, you can then use a standard filter box.

Log in or create an account to post an answer.


Recent Questions and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |